Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doors I have created won't behave themselves

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Doors I have created won't behave themselves

I thought that was what I was doing. I have parameters for width and even added a new parameter for the half way mark in the door hoping this would even the door out in the project but it doesn't . its stays 6 1/4" off .
    I locked the half width to the center reference line but when I change it in project absolutely nothing happens.
    The second door I have seems to act better until I change the size of the door opening then right back to acting just as crazy.
    This is my first try with doors so if you see something I am missing I would greatly appreciate any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Again I'd be trying to do a sweep with them.
    The problem you end up with is that the panel needs to flex because it's a curtain wall panel and not a door.
    Some of this has to do with the behavior of the object.
    Is that one of the families you posted?

Login to Give a bone

I keep rebuilding them. Even with the sweeps I get the same problems. I am 12 doors in so far. Some extrusions some sweeps some a mixture of extrusions and sweeps.
    I have used reference planes to constrain, Ive created parameters, Ive pulled working doors apart and rebuilt them and still have the same problems.
    I figure there is probably some small step that I am missing that keeps me doomed.
    Ive been combing through forums, watching videos, going through instructional pages, even turned to my old books from back in 2013. There has to be something I am missing.

I tried attaching a few but it tells me Ive exceeded my limit

Login to Give a bone

I DID IT...I don't know how but I just kept redoing it until I finally got it right!
    I had to delete some of the other files from this string of posts to get this one in.
    It flexes and moves and stays even!!!!!
    I had to add and remove reference planes and just keep loading and checking and loading and checking but somehow it finally worked. Not sure what the problem was because I did most of them the same way over and over, but this one just worked!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I figured out what I did and now I'm worried.
    I was getting so frustrated I tried a few things that seemed like they were probably going to be bad ideas and it's one of them that worked. I didn't use the right template. I used the "Curtain Wall Panel" template and then went into the the "Family Category Parameters" I told it to be a door.
    Its working, its flexing evenly, its completely behaving. I just don't know if its going to give me any unforeseen issues because of this in the future.
    Any words of warning or advice to heed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Another thing I figured out about the flexing issues I was having using the correct template, I needed to unlock the center reference plane. Doing so immediately made the doors start working better. FYI for anyone having these kinds of problems.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Unlocking the center planes can lead to other problems. Instead of each door leaf being labeled, try making the leaf widths "EQ".

I haven't worked in door families for a while, but one of the greatest things Revit allows is nested families. I typically create door leaves as a generic family, and then insert them in a door or curtain wall door panel family. It solves many issues with flexing.

Login to Give a bone

I ran into this problem myself while trying to build a pair of curtainwall doors. I sent it into Autodesk and they gave me the "answer". It seems that for some reason when you dimension between the edge and middle reference planes, the equality dimension is not necessarily a constraint and in fact may be more of a reporting dimension. This was a while back so I don't remember if this family was started from scratch or if I just tried to fix a family we already had.

The screencast link appears to still be active, so you can take a look there for a better explanation: http://autode.sk/1S9xwio

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12