Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiral wall alongside curved ramp

Login to Give a bone

Default Spiral wall alongside curved ramp

I'm trying to make a curved wall attached to a curved ramp. The problem is that the wall doesn't snap to the edge of the ramp so I get gaps between the wall and the ramp at some points. I also need the top of the wall to be cut horizontally to the floor because the top ends up being a little inclined.

The only thing I've managed to do so far is a curved ramp with a curved wall attached to a ref plane with nearly the same inclination as the ramp. Help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Spiral wall alongside curved ramp

This is a technique I've used with some success in the past - its quick and easy, but may not suit every application.
    1. Make your curved ramp with a top handrail only - no balusters.
    2. Substitute a new profile for the handrail, matching the height and material of the solid wall. Adjust the height of the handrail to zero above the ramp. (Profile generates the height )
    3. Place a new railing of the same type, with host set to the floor (not ramp ). You may need a new profile if the ramp height exceeds the original profile height. At this point, it would be terrific to Join geometry - unfortunately, you can't !
    4. Use the linework tool to delete any lines that show at the junction of the two railing profiles. ( in the image below, you can still see an artifact at the join ! )
    If this method doesn't suit, check out the Tutorial on constucting curved walls below a stair by Mr. Spot, and adjust for a ramp situation.
    Last edited by beegee; 2005-03-21 at 12:30 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks beegee. I thought about Mr Spot's tutorial, which I already have, but it seems rather complicated so I wanted to see if there were any other options available. I'll be testing and I'll post in a sec how good it got!

EDIT: I've tried your technique with regular railings (I'm too lazy to go on creating them right now. Bedtime's ahead) but it seems to work! The railings have the same position the walls should have. Let's see tomorrow if this works out
    Last edited by pfrederico; 2005-03-21 at 12:10 AM.

Login to Give a bone

That is a great technique Beegee! I think it deserves to go in the Tips and Tricks dept. (If it isn't there already.)

Joe

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I'm dumb and no, I'm not managing to pull this one out. And please, don't redirect me to Mr Spot's tutorial. That thing's a nightmare just as it is if applied to stairs and if you try to follow the process with a curved ramp... it only gets worse! Take it from me.

I can't seem to make a railing without balusters (yeah, revit newbie...) I've tried to edit the railings and take out the balusters and set them to none so as to only have the handrailing to no avail. help!!

Login to Give a bone

Hi pfrederico,

These are the settings to change to 'None' in the baluster dialogue, to leave the railing only.

Login to Give a bone

It's 5:54am right now. I've been about SIX HOURS through this. I've already went through autodesk discussion groups, revitcity.com and augi foruns. The best tutorial I've found, from Scott Davis... well, I really just don't follow.

When one cummits so hard to try to do something right and fails... I cannot help but to feel I've picked up the wrong course and that I should give it up for something else...

Login to Give a bone

OK, but what exactly is the problem at this point , so we can help ?

Are you following my approach ? If so, did the railings without balusters part not work ?

If you following Scott's approach, what point are you stuck on ?

Can you post an image of what you have ?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry about the subjective post. It's hard not to be so after 6 hours straight in front of the pc looking for something and not quite getting.

This was taken from a thread named "How would you model this?" (sorry, no link...)

The question was basically the same as mine and here's what Scott sugested:

"(...) Create the curved wall using an in-place sweep family. Then create a reference plane that sets the high point and low point of the elevation change. Name your reference plane. Turn on your workplane (to make it easy to see the cut) and set it to your previously named ref plane. Now create a void sweep, and use "Pick" to select the path, which will allow you to pick the intersection of the ref plane and the centerline of the wall. Skecth your Void geometry profile so that it exceeds the dimension of the wall. When you Finish Sketch, you should have a curved wall which the elevation slopes.

(edit: i forgot a step! Once you've established the workplane at the proper slope, you need to draw a model line on the Sloped workplane at the centerline of the wall. Then edit the family, create a void sweep, picking the model line as the sweep path, then it will work! See attached....)

Then use another Solid Sweep profile to add the wall cap, using the same model line as a sweep path!"

Well, the idea's great but I'm not managing to add the model line to the middle of the wall (by offsetting it to the middle of the wall) after making the sweep profile. I've made a 3 point model line that starts in the outside point of one end of the arc and ends on the other one but I can't seem to find the third point.

Beegee, your own idea's great. But the reason I'm following Scott's is because I can use a material diferent from the one used in the ramp without the ramp showing in between the two railings.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi to all.
    Is it possible to make the walls alongside curved ramp using the ramp tool and if needed put them on top of another wall. I'm using Revit for a month, but I think it's a great program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast