See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Same project, same central, work force in two cities

Login to Give a bone

Default Same project, same central, work force in two cities

I'm not even sure where I would begin to start searching, or who I would talk to.

Here's the situation...
    A colleague and I are about to sign a contract for work on two projects that are in my city 'A'. Each project is apporx. 75,000 sq ft. He has an established office in another city 'B'. I will be the only person working in this city 'A' and we have absolutely no computer infrastructure here. If the staffing that will be working on the project is in city 'B', but I also want to be able to have my own synch-able local on my computer in city 'A' what needs to happen? I don't want to work via a cloud, as I don't feel the technology is fast enough yet. I could be wrong.

I consider myself to be an expert revit user and am well versed in work-sharing within the same office environment on a shared network. So I feel I can wrap my head around a semi-detailed explanation.

Finally, if there is a source here to answer this please point me in that direction, it's just that I don't even know what i would start to search for to find it.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Same project, same central, work force in two cities

If you don't want to work 'in the cloud' (collaboration for Revit) and you currently have no infrastructure in place then I would suggest the easiest approach would be to set up a dedicated machine in your colleagues office and Remote Desktop into it. The quality of the experience will depend on the speed of the connection at both ends but this is likely the least costly alternative and will require little technical expertise.
    Be sure to consult with someone with regards to security and having your dedicated machine connected to their network.