Thread: Custon Guard Rail Psot Line in AutoCAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Custon Guard Rail Psot Line in AutoCAD

Hey Guys,

So basically I am trying to create a line that sets a certain object (looks like a guard rail post) at 2000mm center to center of the posts. I tryed to do it by creating a shape of two of the posts set out 2000mm apart (CTS) then have the start point in the center of the first post and end point 2000mm from the second posts centre. Hoever when I then go to draw the line it draws a small dot where I click the first time then another where I click the second time. No matter how much you zoom in these dots look nothing like guard rails.

I just want the line to plot a Guard rail post (appearing like the shape I have drawn) at 2000 CTS on both straight and curved lines. Should not be this hard. The shape is attached.

Thanks.

EDIT: There is a line type in auto cad that puts boxes in a line a certain distance apart along the line depending on the scale. If this can be done there should be a way to make a line that has the image below sitting on the line and then is spaced accordingly depending on the scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hbahnert714726; 2015-11-26 at 11:43 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custon Guard Rail Psot Line in AutoCAD

Welcome to AUGI.

Why not just use the MEASURE (or DIVIDE) Command to space your block as needed?

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Its a matter of lining them up to be touch the line and then you have to rotate them along the line. I have just create the shape I want then made a line from it but where the posts go it is just a blank spot in the line, no posts... Having to rotate and align all the posts for 100's of meteres of guard rail (with curves) is very annoying.

Login to Give a bone

Capture.PNG This is what I want it to look like. But when using poly line it curves accordingly. It should work if I make that a shape then select that shape as the object in making line type.

Login to Give a bone

Never mind it magically started working even though I changed nothing in the way I was doing it. Got to love computers!

Login to Give a bone

Glad you got it sorted.

If your resultant blocks are not correctly oriented following the MEASURE or DIVIDE Commands, then you've either chosen an incorrect command option, or need to REFEDIT your block's insertion/rotation.

Using MEASURE or DIVIDE Commands allows for the quantity of block placements to be accurately tallied without having having to subsequently calculate same quotient of total line type lengths; so each has inherent trade offs.

Cheers

[edit] - It would also be greatly appreciated if you were to share a DWG that others might also be able to use, so long as you have permission to share such content.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I am not sure if I am allowed to share the line type I have created, as I believe it is now the property of my institution. Obviously someone could easily recreate the line type. I will find out if I can share it and will do so if possible. I will make sure that it works correctly first as I am getting bad definition errors when trying to use the file in other documents. I believe I know how to fix this though and will do so before sharing.

Thanks for your help.