Thread: Tag Toposurface with a note displaying Surface Area

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Tag Toposurface with a note displaying Surface Area

Projected Area and Surface Area for each toposurface instance are visible properties in the properties browser. How can I tag each of my toposurfaces individually? I need to do this to show the square footage of each of my toposurfaces for a permit requirement.

I'd rather not have to create an area plan and trace over each of those boundaries... If that is the only way, is there a way that the area boundaries can be made to update when the toposurface boundaries are updated?

Any ideas?

Using Revit Architecture 2015.

Thanks,
    Matt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tag Toposurface with a note displaying Surface Area

You've got to tag the property lines, not the topo. Make sure it's a closed loop to get the area to tag. There is a tag in the default library set to acres.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Revitaoist View Post
    You've got to tag the property lines, not the topo. Make sure it's a closed loop to get the area to tag. There is a tag in the default library set to acres.
    My model has multiple toposurfaces, each representing a planting area on a full-block site. I need to be able to tag each one individually as the permit requirement is to display the area of each planting area...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Anyone know if this is possible? I need to do the same thing. The area is clearly shown in the properties but I don't see how to extract that information into a schedule. Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Looks like you cannot tag topography. It does appear in the schedules, though. You could schedule the totals, then coordinate that with a legend. The plan would have the total areas by type, not tagged individually.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If Revitaoist's scheduling approach isn't what you are looking for, you could always dive into Dynamo! I'm seeing this suggestion a lot recently on the forum here, which IMHO is both good and bad. Good, because it means we have a way to manipulate Revit's behavior beyond what the developers have provided. Bad, because it means two things: we have to spend extra time creating our own tools/commands and we have the power to subvert the way Revit works. The latter isn't a terrible thing, but it's like the new Revit users when they ask, "Can't I just override the dimension?" No, that is bad practice. With Dynamo, it is easier to do things like that.

That said, I just started a Dynamo definition to pull the Projected Area and Surface Area values from the toposurfaces and set them in a Generic Model family instance. Then I can tag the Generic Model. As with most workarounds, it has limitations. I imagine you'd have to set up the Generic Model family to be able to show and then hide the 3d geometry of the family; show in order to tag, then hide so you don't have an object sitting where there shouldn't be an object.

I'd be happy to share my definition if you think this is helpful. If not, that's cool. It was a fun 15 minute exercise to learn something and perhaps even use in the future!

NOTE: I have a working version of the Dynamo definition that places a family instance of a Generic Model at the geometric center of each toposurface (subregions included). The Generic Model is a 10'x10'x10' cube and has Projected and Surface Area parameters that can be tagged. It is not a fully-functional definition. I think it may be counting building pads as a separate toposurface, but haven't investigated much. Want a go at it, see if it helps you?
    Last edited by damon.sidel; 2016-11-08 at 07:28 PM.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Damon. I try to solve the problem of tagging toposurfaces in Revit for some time. Today I found your post on that subject. I new to Dynamo, so it would be great if you could send me Dynamo definition you created, that places a family instance of a Generic Model at the geometric center of each toposurface. Thanks!