Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: showing brick coursing in cut pattern

Login to Give a bone

Default showing brick coursing in cut pattern

I was wondering what the best way of showing brick coursing in a section?

Thanks, Karl

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: showing brick coursing in cut pattern

Quote Originally Posted by karl.87950
    I was wondering what the best way of showing brick coursing in a section?

Thanks, Karl
    repeating detail

here's what i use...but you can edit the brick family to whatever you prefer...
    Last edited by J. Grouchy; 2005-05-26 at 09:09 PM.

Login to Give a bone

If you have anything that relys upon brick coursing heights that you have to show in section, then I would not suggest using the repeating detail tool. The problem is that 3 courses of brick is 8", which means 1 course with a mortar joint is 2 1/3". The best Revit can approximate that is 2 85/256", and so after you extend the coursing all the way up a wall, it gets significanly out of alignment.

What I do is take a single brick section detail component, array it with 3 copies to make exactly 8", and then array that group of 3 as many times as I need.

Of course this only applies if you're using standard brick coursing.

Also I typically start my wall sections as full height from foundation to roof, so that I can get things like brick coursing in the right place, and then I break the detail into however many pieces I need to get the height to fit on my sheet.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

patricks,

When you place your walls full height, from foundation to roof, how do you address stepped foundations walls? Do you edit the wall profile in Elevation view.

I am wrestling with the pros and cons of each method and haven't settled on any preference as yet. I usually run into problems when my Lower Level and Main Level floors are masonry with 2x6 studs then switch to masonry with 2x4 studs on the Upper Level.

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Opposite to some people it seems, but I use a repeat detail of a mortar joint. Metric bricks are 65mm high with 10mm mortar joints typically so stack up easily without the problems patricks raised. I figured that since the brick wall in section is already there and hatched as brickwork, what's missing are the mortar joints, so these are what a repeat detail needs to be!

patricks - you could also use repeat detail in your process by making the repeating part of the detail 3 courses high.
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

I could stop if I wanted to Paul P.'s Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Elrond, great idea, I never thought of that, I'm going to try that on the next project.

Regards, Paul.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rookwood
    patricks,

When you place your walls full height, from foundation to roof, how do you address stepped foundations walls? Do you edit the wall profile in Elevation view.

I am wrestling with the pros and cons of each method and haven't settled on any preference as yet. I usually run into problems when my Lower Level and Main Level floors are masonry with 2x6 studs then switch to masonry with 2x4 studs on the Upper Level.
    What I meant was, I draw the wall section detail as full height, i.e. I have a building section, and then I do a callout of one wall, usually the whole wall, so that I can place my brick coursing detail components and get everything lined up, before breaking the callout into pieces so that the height will fit on the sheet.

Standard brick coursing is supposed to be 3 courses to 8", and 9 courses to 2 feet. Out in the field, it's the thickness of the mortar joints that determines course spacing, but I like to get it all lined up as it should be on my detail.

If I were to draw several separate callouts, say one at the foundation, one at an intermediate floor, and one at the roof, then it would be harder for me to see where all the brick coursing is supposed to go.

I remember one of the first projects I worked on in Revit, we had a shopping center with brick extending up at least 30 to 40 feet from grade. When I used the repeating detail, the brick was nearly a whole inch off vertically from where it should have been by the time it got up to the top of the wall. It may not seem like much, but we try to detail things in brick walls such that the masons don't have to cut as many bricks, so we try to get things to line up with coursing as much as possible. In order to get my details to show correctly, I have to draw my details as described earlier.

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P.
    Elrond, great idea, I never thought of that, I'm going to try that on the next project.

Regards, Paul.
    Here are a couple of my detail families - they measure slightly wider than their name suggests as they have filled regions to blank out the thickness of wall section lines. Probably should combine them into one file with a parameter for the wall thickness really...!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

Login to Give a bone

Here is my mortar joint it has 2 filled regions one wipes out the outside line of the brick so you get a reveal, the other is the mortar.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

I could stop if I wanted to Paul P.'s Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Scott , Elrond, thanks for them, very much appreciated.

Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast