Thread: Roof valleys in Architecture do not display

Login to Give a bone

Default Roof valleys in Architecture do not display

Roof valleys in Architecture do not display. Say I've added a dormer to a main roof. (Not roof slabs). The valleys in 3D line view don't show a line. How to I get them to show? Thanks. (A search in AUGI gives me nothing. A search for roofs in general gives me only Revit posts.)

Jim Cronburg

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Roof valleys in Architecture do not display

Are you referring to Autocad Architecture (ACA) or Revit? I'll assume ACA but I've never seen valley's not displaying.
    The ACA Roof Object (RO) does not allow the adding of a Dormer so I must assume you mean you have created a separate RO for the dormer?
    Therefore there would be no interaction between the 2 objects and there is no native way to create the connection except by getting a little dirty.
    Assuming you have added a dormer by creating a 2nd RO above, you would want to cut a hole in the main roof for your dormer. But you cannot cut any holes in the RO.
    I show how in a workaround that is actually quite handy and flexible in my youtube video.
    Dormer Windows.
    and perhaps here as well.

Lots of tips on my other video's in using the RO and also in 2017 version you can now edit, adding vertices and changing edges just like the flexible aecspaces.

HTH's

Quote Originally Posted by jcronburg.192606 View Post
    Roof valleys in Architecture do not display. Say I've added a dormer to a main roof. (Not roof slabs). The valleys in 3D line view don't show a line. How to I get them to show? Thanks. (A search in AUGI gives me nothing. A search for roofs in general gives me only Revit posts.)

Jim Cronburg

Login to Give a bone

neje:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. It is ACA that I am using not Revit. I thought I had made that clear. I will try what you suggest. I'm surprised lines show where things intersect sometimes but not others. Weird, but typical with AutoDesk.

Your response is very much appreciated.

Jim Cronburg

Login to Give a bone

I hope it helped.
    Revit was also renamed Revit 'Architecture' (because they also have R. Structure, R. Electrical etc) so I just wanted to make sure.
    You were posting in the ACA section but mentioned that valleys don't show so it did make me wonder.
    Not being proficient with Revit I wasn't sure whether Revit could do that.

Login to Give a bone

Nathan: Thanks again for checking. Sorry I've not responded sooner, but deadlines got in the way.

I found the video much too quick for my little brain. It seemed to show how to manipulate already set up dormers by pulling grips to make different shaped dormers, but it showed nothing about how to show the dormer lines on the plan view of the roof.

It was also impossible for me to see some of the clicks on various commands and windows, much too tiny and quick. Those actions did not appear to answer my problem anyway.

Thanks though for trying.

Jim Cronburg

Login to Give a bone

Sigh! That's what you get when amateurs make videos! haha.

Perhaps essentially I am challenging same basic assumptions you are making, of what you are expecting the program to do and that it can't and doesn't do. So your 'problem' is hoping the program does what you expect and I am suggesting you need to understand that it can't do that. (actually the RO can but it's switched off).

The "already set up dormers" are there because the purpose of the video is to show how to get around in another method what the program doesn't do naturally. Essentially a dormer is just a small roof so i didn't think it necessary to show you how to do that again.

Your posted question asked how to get dormers to cut a hole to show the intersection (valleys). ACA does not have this capability unfortunately. My solution uses the Roof Object tool and a method that is not obvious or shown anywhere in the manuals.

You can also use aecRoofSlabs but again you need to manually trace a line to cut a hole etc so there is never any automatic solution.

Perhaps if you can post a sample file of where you are at and what you want it to look like (perhaps a couple of arrows and text) we could look at it for you. If you do save it as a separate file and delete and purge everything else.