See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD 2011 Sheet Set Manager defaults fields to previous sheet set

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2011 Sheet Set Manager defaults fields to previous sheet set

Well it seem ok to me??
    I just unzipped and re-pathed the titleblock xrefs.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2011 Sheet Set Manager defaults fields to previous sheet set

I forgot to explain that I had to update the fields in the Test Job. I had to use the enhanced editor to update those. When I updated them through the block editor via text editor, the field would update but would not show to have updated once I exited the block editor. Hope that makes sense.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrick007 View Post
    I forgot to explain that I had to update the fields in the Test Job. I had to use the enhanced editor to update those. When I updated them through the block editor via text editor, the field would update but would not show to have updated once I exited the block editor. Hope that makes sense.
    Ok now I understand...
    Just for giggles, I added a NEW SheetSetCustom field in the .DST, and using the standard "attedit" dialog and changing one of the fields, it didn't update.
    But when I went into the enhanced attribute editor and changed it, it DID update.

But I don't know why that would be an issue.... but get it now.

Login to Give a bone

I was thinking I should explain my process...

I created the template DST file as my base that contains my template drawings (dwt). Then I would (want to anyway) create new DST files per customer. (And here could be the issue) Then when I right click on the new DST I would select one of the dwt files from the template DST. I would do this because those dwt files are already associated with that (template) DST and the SSM will not let me select them again for a different DST. So now I have my new drawing but all the fields point to the template DST. I don't think i would need to create a whole new set of dwt files for each new DST I make. That would be crazy. So are you going to smack me in the back or the head or what!! LOL.

Login to Give a bone

I was thinking I should explain my process...

I created the template DST file as my base that contains my template drawings (dwt). Then I would (want to anyway) create new DST files per customer. (And here could be the issue) Then when I right click on the new DST I would select one of the dwt files from the template DST. I would do this because those dwt files are already associated with that (template) DST and the SSM will not let me select them again for a different DST. So now I have my new drawing but all the fields point to the template DST. I don't think i would need to create a whole new set of dwt files for each new DST I make. That would be crazy. So are you going to smack me in the back or the head or what!! LOL.
    I don't have a lot of experience with SSM, and we don't have a pre-set of templates or DST files for them.
    We usually set them up per project, and so the DWT file gets saved to the project, in the project folder and THEN it gets associated with the DST.
    And then we create sheets and import them into the DST, so we know those are the sheet that are supposed to be with the DST.

I suspect your process is screwing you up some how, I don't do it that way so I can't help.

Another thing, not sure if it matters, your title block attributes are in MS and being viewed through a viewport in PS, and so that is another level of **** it has to work though.
    Like I said, don't know if it matters.

(LOL)

Login to Give a bone

Ya... I created the PS VP because every time I would open a drawing with SSM it would open to PS. Plus I think that SSM is meant for PS more so than MS. So most likely am putting all kinds of salt in the wound.

I was trying to avoid having several dwt files clogging up the network and thought it would be more server friendly to keep them in one place.

Login to Give a bone

I typically only have one DWT file associated with my SSM template. This DWT contains the various Page Setups which allow me to override the page setup of the associated sheets in the sheet set. I do not duplicate this DWT throughout our server.

My sheets are in paper space, which you have noticed is how SSM was designed. I do not use a DST assigned template file to create my drawing sheets. I import the necessary layout containing my title block information. I have heard of others using model space, however, I have never tried it.

The fields for the associated sheet need to reside in the layout to update. You can set them up in one drawing and copy and paste into other drawings. If the other drawings are associated with the current sheet set, the fields will update to the appropriate values. If those sheets are associated with another sheet set, the fields will update to the values assigned in the other sheet set.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Ya... I created the PS VP because every time I would open a drawing with SSM it would open to PS. Plus I think that SSM is meant for PS more so than MS. So most likely am putting all kinds of salt in the wound.
    Sheet Set Manager is meant to manage sheets (aka Layouts)... I have my exhibit, model, and sheet drawings in different folders, but I still use Sub-Sets to manage an entire project.

For my DREF/XREF drawings, I use this code snippet in AcadDoc.lsp to automagically switch to Model at drawing open... Just modify the WCMATCH string as needed:

Code:
    ;;; Activate model tab when opening models from ssm
    (if
      (and
        (wcmatch (strcase (strcat (getvar 'dwgprefix) (getvar 'dwgname)))
                 "*\\MODEL*"
        )
        (/= 1 (getvar 'tilemode))
      )
       (setvar 'tilemode 1)
    )

I was trying to avoid having several dwt files clogging up the network and thought it would be more server friendly to keep them in one place.
    This is exactly what you should be doing to minimize storage space consumption, and centralize your AutoCAD deployments, rather than placing them within each-and-every-single project, IMO.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    I typically only have one DWT file associated with my SSM template. This DWT contains the various Page Setups which allow me to override the page setup of the associated sheets in the sheet set. I do not duplicate this DWT throughout our server.

My sheets are in paper space, which you have noticed is how SSM was designed. I do not use a DST assigned template file to create my drawing sheets. I import the necessary layout containing my title block information. I have heard of others using model space, however, I have never tried it.

The fields for the associated sheet need to reside in the layout to update. You can set them up in one drawing and copy and paste into other drawings. If the other drawings are associated with the current sheet set, the fields will update to the appropriate values. If those sheets are associated with another sheet set, the fields will update to the values assigned in the other sheet set.

I must be missing something... How do I get dwt files with stored fields in the attributes that are not associated with a sheet set but populate with sheet set custom properties when you create a new sheet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Sheet Set Manager is meant to manage sheets (aka Layouts)... I have my exhibit, model, and sheet drawings in different folders, but I still use Sub-Sets to manage an entire project.

For my DREF/XREF drawings, I use this code snippet in AcadDoc.lsp to automagically switch to Model at drawing open... Just modify the WCMATCH string as needed:

Code:
    ;;; Activate model tab when opening models from ssm
    (if
      (and
        (wcmatch (strcase (strcat (getvar 'dwgprefix) (getvar 'dwgname)))
                 "*\\MODEL*"
        )
        (/= 1 (getvar 'tilemode))
      )
       (setvar 'tilemode 1)
    )

This is exactly what you should be doing to minimize storage space consumption, and centralize your AutoCAD deployments, rather than placing them within each-and-every-single project, IMO.

Cheers
    Thanks for the code!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast