Thread: Workflow procedure between Architect and MEP

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Workflow procedure between Architect and MEP

Hi Everybody,

Could someone explain to me please the workflow and how elements inter-react with the Linked model between Architect and MEP. This is how I see it.

1) The Main Contractor will issue me with a copy of the Central file.
    2) I make a copy and link this model into my MEP template.
    3) I then use the Linked model as the host for my equipment (Sockets, Lights, Pipes, fittings etc...).
    4) I send my completed MEP file to Main Contractor.

If above is correct, when the linked model is removed what do my fittings host to? As in the Host description my sockets say Host is the linked model. Will they find the wall in the Main contractors Central model and host to that when they link my model to theirs?

Do I have to make sure my sockets etc... by a certain method?

Sorry for the very basic question but I'm new to Revit and collaborative working. I have searched for the answer here and using a tool called Google and I am not finding the answer I need. I unfortunately have not had a project yet to ask the Main Contractor these questions. I work for an Electrical & Mechanical Company. I have a reasonable amount of knowledge of Revit and how to use it but have not had a chance to understand in practice this part of the puzzle.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Workflow procedure between Architect and MEP

Jim,
    You are correct in that you will link the Architectural model and use it as a host only for things that are not level hosted. For things that are level hosted you will need to add levels to your project which should be done anyways so floor plans can be created. Now if at any point the link goes away the items will just loose the host and be suspended in space until the link is found either by putting it in the relative path or pointing the link to the new path. Hope this helps.