Thread: Identical links

Login to Give a bone

Default Identical links

Hello everyone,
    I am planning a neighborhood that contain 12 duplexes that each one of them built out of 2 identical parts in mirror. i built one half in one file, put him as a link in other new file, and make the mirror. so far so good, i am updating everything that identical in the first one, and the UNITED file is looking good.
    now, i have 2 main issues

1. every update that i need to do i have to close the UNITED file and open the original, because revit do not let me open them both at the same time - very annoying...

2. for the client every duplex is one building, not two. so when i am tagging windows for example i have the same window and the same tag twice because i have the same model linked twice. and i can not make a schedules for the complete building (that will make sense).....

*i am making all the annotation at the original file and make the override per view to the linked file

Thank you for helping

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Identical links

For your first issue, if your computer has the resources, you could open a second instance of Revit and have the host file open in one and the file being linked open in the other. I am not sure about how to deal with your second issue (assuming you are not tagging by type, but are tagging each real-world individual object).

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Identical links

Technically you could use two instances of the same group instead of two links. By setting the relevant parameters to 'Values can vary by group instance' you can have different parameter values on two instances of the 'same' window. But, but, but, but there are a LOT of problems using groups which are outside the scope of your question. I would be very careful of using this approach - but it is possible.