Thread: Family Types Parameter Changes

Wish List Administration

Default Family Types Parameter Changes

Summary: Family Types parameter to be associate-able with nested families.

Description: The association would have to be "pushable" and "pullable". Associating a parameter is generally done by pulling the information from the host into the nested family. This would have to work in reverse and both directions. Allow the nested family to push the list of items to the host {or said differently; the host would pull the info from the nested family} and then be selectable in the host and that selection would pass back to the nested family.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Architectural Family Contents/Components

Submitted By: ColoradoRic on 01/13/2016

All AUGI, all the time

Default Re: Family Types Parameter Changes

I'm not sure I understand what is being said here, but if I do, I believe this action is currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckyd67 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what is being said here, but if I do, I believe this action is currently available.
    Associating most parameters is currently available, but not for the "Family Types" type of parameter. Does that make sense? It would be difficult to do, but hopefully the great people at AutoDesk can figure out how to do it.

100 Club

Do you mean you have a nested family with different types and you want to be able to parametrically select those types through the host family once inserted into a project. This is currently possible in revit.

Quote Originally Posted by marmiketin707113 View Post
    Do you mean you have a nested family with different types and you want to be able to parametrically select those types through the host family once inserted into a project. This is currently possible in revit.
    I'm referring to a nested family within a nested family. If you have a nested family within a family and then nest that family into another, you cannot select the types of the original nested family in the final family. It is not an associate-able parameter type. Hope that helps. Ric

All AUGI, all the time

You have to link the parameters through each family. You cannot skip a family and expect to link all the way back to the beginning.

For example, let's insert family A into family B, B into C, and C into D. Family A parameters can be linked only to family B, not C or D. So, link the parameters in A to parameters in B and B into C and C into D.

The above method works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckyd67 View Post
    You have to link the parameters through each family. You cannot skip a family and expect to link all the way back to the beginning.

For example, let's insert family A into family B, B into C, and C into D. Family A parameters can be linked only to family B, not C or D. So, link the parameters in A to parameters in B and B into C and C into D.

The above method works very well.
    Except for the "Family Types" type of parameter. There is no linking for that type of parameter.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Family Types Parameter Changes

Family Types Parameter Changes

Summary: Family Types parameter to be associate-able with nested families.

Description: The association would have to be "pushable" and "pullable". Associating a parameter is generally done by pulling the information from the host into the nested family. This would have to work in reverse and both directions. Allow the nested family to push the list of items to the host {or said differently; the host would pull the info from the nested family} and then be selectable in the host and that selection would pass back to the nested family.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Architectural Family Contents/Components

Submitted By: ColoradoRic on 01/13/2016