Thread: View Templates

Login to Give a bone

Default View Templates

Has anyone had this happen in a project: you create a Revit family object (a detail component with parametric controls) and place it in a view (floor plan in this case). Once I apply a view template to the view the controls of the family object do not work - in this case the grip controls are not working. If I apply another view template or go to a non-publish view type, the controls are back.

What should I look for in the view templates to resolve the problem? Or is this occurring somewhere else in the program? Project Parameters? I've adjusted them to the object but that does nothing. We rely on view templates a lot so it would be helpful to understand the application to a view - what are they doing really??

Thanks,

John

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View Templates

John: Could you please clarify? Parametric controls with grips? Sounds like instance parameters. To control what specifically? Templates control VG display. If grips aren't showing in a template, it's VG related. Here's 10 steps that might help you find those grips: http://cadshack.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-10-reasons-you-cant-see-element-in.html

Login to Give a bone

The object I created is made from a detail.rft template. The dimensional parameters are "Instance" type parameter - allows for grips to be selected when manipulating the object. In one view template setting all the "grips" (blue triangles) are available to select for adjusting the object. When I apply another template the majority of the grip controls go away. The adjustments then can only be made at the dimensional parameters. It almost seems like the template adjusts some of the parameters - they still display at instance but the grip controls are gone.

I've attached images - let me know if that helps. And thanks for the reply.

Attachment 102815
    Attachment 102816
    Attachment 102814

Login to Give a bone

Don't know if other members have the same issue as I, but I am getting following error message opening your images: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Login to Give a bone

Sorry for the long delay ... not sure why the links failed. But it turned out to be a bug in the View Templates tools as applied to certain views. And how those views were created. I found out one of the staffers was using the Temporary Hide / Isolate tools for setting up views. They then used the Apply to View option. The created a View Template with those setting created. That created a persistent hide / isolate setting which could not be over-ridden with VG or editing a View Template.