Thread: Pen weights between printers?

Login to Give a bone

Default Pen weights between printers?

We just got in a new 11x17 capable printer, an HP M855 Color Laserjet. The previous device, that's still going to be in service, is a Canon.

My issue is that the lineweights on the HP hardcopy are drastically different from what comes out of the Canon. About twice or three times as heavy, which turns some of my text into a barely readable mass of black. Np settings are being changed in CAD other than changing queues between Canon and M855.

Anyone have any experience with the M855? I'll note that the old HP 5000 LJ matched the Canon nicely until it died...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pen weights between printers?

Are these layouts designed for 11x17 or are you just scaling up or printing to fit old 8.5x11 layouts?

If you are printing 8.5x11 layouts to 11x17, uncheck "Scale lineweights".

Login to Give a bone

Nope, printing sheets set up for ansi B (11x17). pagesetups are identical except for choice of hardcopy device.

Login to Give a bone

I've never seen that before. Do prints from other programs come out as expected?

If not, it's probably a printer calibration issue.

If it is only AutoCAD, can you post a file that exhibits that behavior?

Login to Give a bone

only noticeable in Acad, and it's any drawing. what I don't see in the HP carp is any way to manage weights. In Acad, not a problem, HP? not so much

Login to Give a bone

If you can post a file, we can eliminate that it is not something you are missing in AutoCAD and then you can move on to the HP settings.

Login to Give a bone

it's not a missing Acad setting, and it doesn't matter what dwg file is used. Same dwg, same ctb, and the only difference in the pagesetup is the printer queue it's pointing to. Canon queues go to ufri or pcl5, HP queue goes with pcl6

Login to Give a bone

I'll take it you are using .shx fonts which are affected by lineweights. (A sample file would really help to verify these simple things.) Scans of the prints might reveal something, too.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but since you mentioned it in your first sentence. I've been thinking that the Cannon didn't do 11x17 and the 11x17 layouts are new. I just looked back and now I'm not sure that is what you meant.

Are the 11x17 layouts in your drawings ones that have been in place since before the new HP printer and plotted fine on the Cannon at 11x17?

Login to Give a bone

both shx and ttf fonts that are readable on the Canon were coming out dramatically darker on the HP, as were simple lines. eg a line that the ctb calls for 0.25 width looked like a 0.35 line on the HP.

Canon and HP are both multi-tray machines, loaded with both 11x17 & Letter, and the pagesetups for Ansi B on the HP were created from the Ansi B pagesetups for the canon. The only change between them is the server queue they are pointing to.

Interestingly, the differences are less blatant now that the HP has been in service and used for a while.... Possibly the drum in the HP just needed a ream or two of paper run through it to break it in?

Login to Give a bone

Having everything getting bolder and the fact that it has changed, leads me to think that it is a printer issue. Since it is getting better, it may correct itself. Maybe it's dumping too much toner and/or it needs to be calibrated.

Good luck!