See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Grading with PN_to Surface Errors

Login to Give a bone

Default Grading with PN_to Surface Errors

I am constructing a parking lot using feature lines. I have created a feature line for my toe of curb and from that feature line I have used the grading tool to create the face of curb, top of curb and the fill/cut slope behind the curb. This leads me to my trouble. I created fill/cut slopes at 2:1s but would like to change them to 4:1s. I have successfully completed this for 3 of my 4 parts of the parking lot. However when I try to edit the 4th side I get an error message and then the program shuts down. Has anyone ran into this problem before? Solutions maybe? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Grading with PN_to Surface Errors

How are you modifying the fill/cut slopes? Can you delete those slopes with the Grading Creation Tools and recreate with the appropriate slopes?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I have attempted to edit these slopes with the "edit grades" tool as well as deleting the slopes and recreating them at 4:1. I even went as far as to delete and recreate the feature line and try creating the 4:1 slopes off of that but I got the same error message. I will take some screen shots of the error message and post them tomorrow.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

are you going off the surface or does your surface have a hole in it either case will throw the whole thing into a tizzy. highlight your surface right click, at the bottom of the menu is the object viewer select it rotate the surface in 3d and set the view rendering to conceptual what do you see

Login to Give a bone

The surface appears to be complete. My curb line that I am attempting to grade is made up curves and straight sections. I found that if I only do the straight sections then I am able to achieve the 4:1 slope I am looking for. However, If I try to include the curves (Radius Returns) then the system issues an error has been made and closes down. I am beginning to thing that this file may have some sort of a bug. When I recreate the model from scratch everything seems to work out perfectly.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You can try auditing the file or better yet wblock it. I would probably if I still had the file that everything worked fine in landxml out the surface from the grading and import it into my working dwg from speed and get it done. Assuming that he working dwg is mostly complete, and I didn't want to start over

Login to Give a bone

fwiw, I'll create the EoP featureline, and use the Create Feature Line From Stepped Offset option to create flowlines, top of curb, and back of curb feature lines instead of grading. Grading still (on 2014) crashes way to often for me to be happy with it.

Heck, if I could skip the grading object, and directly derive the toe of slope featureline at EG by specifying taget and slope I'd be happier (and crash less)

Login to Give a bone

That was some very helpful advice. Thank you!