Thread: "FRONT" view displays broken pencil

Login to Give a bone

Default "FRONT" view displays broken pencil

I have a view (FRONT) in my file that is displaying the broken pencil icon.
    Now, I understand that means the UCS is set in such a way that the X/Y axis is perpendicular to the screen, but what I don't understand is how it happened, or how to change it back to "normal".

I have clicked the UCS icon (below the View Cube) in all my viewports and selected WCS, but that does not affect the pencil icon. Not sure what to do, and I could use some pointers. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "FRONT" view displays broken pencil

Think I got it...I typed UCS>View, and voila! Seems to have fixed that broken pencil issue, but the work plane I established in my Isometric view is no longer valid...obviously there was a connection to how I did that: UCS>Face...pick desired face, and enter. There are options about flipping the x / y but I don't think I selected any of those options. But, then again...

- - - Updated - - -

I may have spoken too soon....sorry my fellow posters. I notice after changing the UCS to View that now the view cube, in my (supposed) front view, is displaying TOP, not front. If I change the UCS back to WCS, the view cube says Front, but the pencil returns. Ugh....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    Think I got it...I typed UCS>View, and voila! Seems to have fixed that broken pencil issue, but the work plane I established in my Isometric view is no longer valid...obviously there was a connection to how I did that: UCS>Face...pick desired face, and enter. There are options about flipping the x / y but I don't think I selected any of those options. But, then again...

- - - Updated - - -

I may have spoken too soon....sorry my fellow posters. I notice after changing the UCS to View that now the view cube, in my (supposed) front view, is displaying TOP, not front. If I change the UCS back to WCS, the view cube says Front, but the pencil returns. Ugh....
    Maybe it's me... but I don't know what you mean by a "broken pencil icon". Can you post a screen shot?
    BTW, to change the view to match the UCS, just type "plan" and hit enter.

How are you changing views? picking the view cube or list of views?

And have you looked into the UCSFOLLOW options? That may be applicable.

Login to Give a bone

Broken pencil.jpg

Image of "broken pencil" attached. I'm just beginning to understand.....
    playing with a OOTB template to see basic behavior, but still feel in the dark a bit.

Login to Give a bone

Broken pencil.jpg

Image of "broken pencil" attached. I'm just beginning to understand.....
    playing with a OOTB template to see basic behavior, but still feel in the dark a bit.
    Ok now I understand. I see in your screen shot where the UCS is the WCS (world coordinate system) and that is your problem.
    As you mentioned, if you type "ucs" and type in "view" this will set it to that view (which fixes the broken pencil).

For your UCS to work, "Z" needs to be pointing toward you (X and Y will be horizontal and vertical).

If you have UCSFOLLOW set to 1 and use the "view" dialog, the UCS follows along. I don't think you can do that with the viewcube.
    (see screen shot, just type "view" on the command line and get the view dialog box. This is where you access preset views or views you create.

Login to Give a bone

I've tried your suggestions but, I am not sure the UCSFOLLOW set to 1 is really what I want. Having it change to a plan view when I'm in another viewport was unexpected, and for now undesirable... Also, in this file, the view cube displays the word "top" even after setting the view to be Front in the view manager. When I click into another viewport (isometric) the view cube in the view set to be Front, but which displays Top, now changes to Back, and shows what I think is the bottom view of the object(s).

Setting the view seemed to have fixed the broken pencil though. However, while trying to figure out what was going on with the USCFOLLOW, it did return. Still a mystery to me...thanks, though.
    Last edited by mmiles; 2016-02-12 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Login to Give a bone

I've tried your suggestions but, I am not sure the UCSFOLLOW set to 1 is really what I want. Having it change to a plan view when I'm in another viewport was unexpected, and for now undesirable... Also, in this file, the view cube displays the word "top" even after setting the view to be Front in the view manager. When I click into another viewport (isometric) the view cube in the view set to be Front, but which displays Top, now changes to Back, and shows what I think is the bottom view of the object(s).

Setting the view seemed to have fixed the broken pencil though. However, while trying to figure out what was going on with the USCFOLLOW, it did return. Still a mystery to me...thanks, though.
    Yea, I get it. I don't have UCSFOLLOW set to 1 either.
    I don't do a lot of 3D AutoCAD work, but when I do, I move around by either using the pre-set named 3D views, the view cube, or rotating the UCS and setting "plan" to that.
    Just a note (and I think you mentioned this before), when using the pre-set views or the view cube, to set that UCS to that view you just use the command "usc" > "view" and you're all set.

And when you want to get back to normal plan view/WCS, you just type "ucs" > "W" (which sets the ucs back to world) and then "plan" <enter> <enter> which sets the plan view to the current ucs which in this case is "wcs".

HTH, cheers!

Login to Give a bone

Old-school answer -
    activate the View toolbar. You get 10 view buttons; the first six give orthogonal views and the UCS changes to match the view. The other four give "isometric" views and do not affect the UCS. So, pick a suitable iso view, select an ortho view then Zoom Previous to give the view you want whilst working in the UCS you want. Which is what Ted is (sort of) saying.

Login to Give a bone

If one doesn't mind typing, you can use the command line -VIEW command and supply the different predefined view options (TOP, BOTTOM, FRONT, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT, SWISO, SEISO, NEISO, NWISO). No need for the toolbar.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    If one doesn't mind typing, you can use the command line -VIEW command and supply the different predefined view options (TOP, BOTTOM, FRONT, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT, SWISO, SEISO, NEISO, NWISO). No need for the toolbar.
    Nice... you know I didn't even know that was an option (or I forgot).
    That would be nice to roll into some quick lisp commands.

Learned something new today, thanks!
    Now I can go home