Thread: layer color problems

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy layer color problems

Please see attachments
    All of the following is being done in Plan View, in Model Space
    when I insert any object from either a Tool Palette or from the Content Browser (door, window, wall type, etc) all display as "color 31" not as colors as defined from Layer Standards.
    I've changed the Layer Standard to AIA 256, doesn't matter, all objects continue to display as "color 31"
    If I "line draw" on any layer, same problem
    The only exception is when I insert a dbl hung window, the window sills only display as the proper color, an exterior hinged door will display the threshold only in the proper color

Any thoughts about what's going on ??
    Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: layer color problems

Hi
    this shouldn't matter but a properties toolbar is the color control set to by layer?

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, it's all set to By Layer

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mburke717881 View Post
    Yeah, it's all set to By Layer
    You are absolutely certain that when no object is selected, on the Properties palette, on the Design tab, under the General category, the Color property is set to ByLayer and not Color 31? The behavior you describe sounds exactly like what would happen if the default Color for a drawing were set to Color 31 instead of ByLayer.
    ACA2016_PropertiesPalette_DesignTab_NoSelection.png

With no object selected, you can reset the Color property on the Properties palette to ByLayer, to fix this for any future objects placed in that file. You can also use the COLOR command to set the default color for the drawing. You can select any "vanilla" AutoCAD objects and change their Color property back to ByLayer, as well, using the Properties palette. AutoCAD Architecture objects are a little trickier, as the Color property is not exposed on the Properties palette. To reset the Color property on these objects, select them, right click and choose Edit Object Display from the context menu. If you only selected one object, choose the Object Display tab. If you selected multiple objects, the Object Display tab will be the only one offered. Select the Color button and then choose the ByLayer button in the Select Color dialog. Select the OK button twice to ratify the selection and return to your drawing. Components within AutoCAD Architecture objects that are set to Layer 0 and Color ByBlock will now display the the color of the layer on which they are placed.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: layer color problems

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    You are absolutely certain that when no object is selected, on the Properties palette, on the Design tab, under the General category, the Color property is set to ByLayer and not Color 31? The behavior you describe sounds exactly like what would happen if the default Color for a drawing were set to Color 31 instead of ByLayer.
    ACA2016_PropertiesPalette_DesignTab_NoSelection.png

With no object selected, you can reset the Color property on the Properties palette to ByLayer, to fix this for any future objects placed in that file. You can also use the COLOR command to set the default color for the drawing. You can select any "vanilla" AutoCAD objects and change their Color property back to ByLayer, as well, using the Properties palette. AutoCAD Architecture objects are a little trickier, as the Color property is not exposed on the Properties palette. To reset the Color property on these objects, select them, right click and choose Edit Object Display from the context menu. If you only selected one object, choose the Object Display tab. If you selected multiple objects, the Object Display tab will be the only one offered. Select the Color button and then choose the ByLayer button in the Select Color dialog. Select the OK button twice to ratify the selection and return to your drawing. Components within AutoCAD Architecture objects that are set to Layer 0 and Color ByBlock will now display the the color of the layer on which they are placed.
    Verified all items in your reply, still no solution. Because I'm under time restraints for this project, I deleted everything I could, purged and then saved. I then started a new drawing, and cautiously, copied complete floor plan with doors and windows, et al, onto new drawing and SURPRISE...it all came in on the proper layer, with all the correct BY LAYER attributes...problem solved (or averted)...thanks for your help

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mburke717881 View Post
    Verified all items in your reply, still no solution. Because I'm under time restraints for this project, I deleted everything I could, purged and then saved. I then started a new drawing, and cautiously, copied complete floor plan with doors and windows, et al, onto new drawing and SURPRISE...it all came in on the proper layer, with all the correct BY LAYER attributes...problem solved (or averted)...thanks for your help
    I am glad you got it sorted out. Perhaps there was an issue with the Display Settings in the original file. But often being able to move on is better than burning hours searching for the reason why something did not work.