Thread: Template files for different drawing types that use xrefs, layer states, and visretain

Login to Give a bone

Default Template files for different drawing types that use xrefs, layer states, and visretain

Right now we have one template file that uses an STB to control line weights/types. We start every base file (xref source file) and drawing file. The layers are set and have line weights assigned to them. We are a civil engineering firm. Our project linework goes into a "base" file. That file is xref'd into our drawing files. Each Drawing has different line weight needs. Our master drainage drawing needs the storm pipes to show up dark and the water mains to be screened back. The Master utility file needs the water mains to be dark and the storm to be screened back. Our Plan and Profile sheets need the storm and utilities to be dark but the rest of the line work to be slightly screened back.

We have been manually changing the layer setting for each drawing when we set them up. It takes time and errors are a constant issue. We can't make layer states for each type of drawings because the layer state saves the full layername of the xref and each xref file is different because they contain the project number in the file name (our standard naming convention).

How do I automate the changing of the layers to their proper lineweights automatically so that it is done the same each time and done correctly? Getting the referenced layers to the correct lineweight is the issue.

I'm contemplating setting up layer states in our template file that are set for each drawing type. When I make a master drainage file i run the drainage layer state in the base file, save it, then xref the base into my drainage drawing. Then, run the utility layer state in the base, save it, create the master utility file, and so on. All of the drawing files need to reference the same base file but each drawing has different line weight needs.

Thanks for the ideas.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Template files for different drawing types that use xrefs, layer states, and visretain

Why can't you rename the reference name of the attached XREFs? If you can standardize that portion, then you can use layer states.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Template files for different drawing types that use xrefs, layer states, and visretain

That's definitely an option I am considering.

Login to Give a bone

Given that your Base drawing (XREF) is standardized, you could just setup a Layer State for each sheet drawing type, within your Base - then in the sheet drawing, simply apply the applicable XREF-ed Layer State.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

As you can see when you xref a drawing the name given to the xref is the name of the file and this name is prefixed to the xreffed layer names. Once the xref is created you can rename the 'xref' to whatever you want. Bear in mind you are not renaming any drawing file, you are just renaming what you current drawing uses as a name for that xref. The xref layer name now becomes consistent from project to project even though the name and location of that xref file changes. You can do this in your template files and preset the layer settings per each viewport. When you use the template it will simply say it can't find the xref file until you supply the correct path and name for you current project. It will hold on the the layer setting even through the process of fixing the path. I've been doing it this way since 2005.

This works even better if your file names are consistent from project to project as in that case the file path is set to a local path and will locate the xreffed file in the current folder where that drawing gets saved.

I've

Login to Give a bone

If you choose per-sheet layer states, rather than using the XREF layer states, you can also simply open the .LAS file, and use Ctrl+H to replace the project-specific? drawing name(s).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000