• Yes, this is a much needed feature

30 93.75%
  • Whatever, I use always 'Up' and it doesn't bother me

2 6.25%
  • Tell Chad to show stairs correctly with 'Up' and 'Down' labels

0 0%

Thread: Independently moving label text for stairs

Default Independently moving label text for stairs

When the 'Show Up arrow in all views' parameter is checked for a stair object, I would like to be able to move the 'Up' stair text that is shown on both levels independently of each other.
    Currently, if you position the lower level label and then position the upper level label it will move the lower level label as though the two are linked as one.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: Independently moving label text for stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith
    ...Currently, if you position the lower level label and then position the upper level label it will move the lower level label as though the two are linked as one...
    I submit that the entire UP/DN label concept is fundamentally flawed. As it is now, if you do enlarged stair plans you can't use the labels. If you position them properly on an overall plan, they are "wrong" in the enlarged plan, "fix" them there and now they are wrong on the overall plan. It's fun to watch different people do the stair up/dn dance! User A sets it on the overall, user B fixes it, User A fixes what B did, User B fixes what A did...you get the idea.

These labels really need to be view specific, independant annotations. That is hard because that means Revit has to be able to create a new annotation object everytime a plan shows a stair object in the view. Then again, maybe it isn't so hard since that's how section marks behave now?

Maybe a new stair "tag" might be more flexible. The user has to tag the stair in a view but you can position it independantly at least and Revit doesn't have to create and manage as many such annotation elements as part of the stair definition itself. If the up/dn arrow could be incorporated into such a tag all the better?

We typically turn off the built in annotation and arrows, place "arrow" symbol families and text for the up/dn to work around the situation.

I did that dance with myself the other day, and didn't realise what I was doing until I started flicking between the two views.
    I thought it was only related to the 'Up' labels being on both upper and lower views, but as you have just pointed out, it does actually happen between views and callouts too.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith
    ...I did that dance with myself the other day...
    Fun eh? I just experimented with a stair tag that just contains a piece of text UP (and/or DN if you really want to make MartyC happy ) It works however the arrow option is useless...so you CAN tag a stair with an up or down label but it won't be smart other than scaling and staying put, which isn't a bad workaround for now. You can leave the Revit arrow visible since they do work, other than being rather plain...

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    ... You can leave the Revit arrow visible since they do work, other than being rather plain...
    Well, I am not even sure of that...

If you have a very short stairs - say two steps - the arrow doesn't even show..! Or if you have two or three sets of stairs - each different lenght - the arrows don't just span across - say - three or four steps consistently! One is six steps long, the next one is just three, while the other one is four... Couldn't they be just either full lenght of the stairs or at least to the break line?

Stair Up/Down labels need to be Middle justified so they locate similarly in rotated or mirrored groups.

John,
    Perhaps if they have the ability to be middle justified, if chosen.

Chad, I agree. Attempting to keep the feature functional and easy while providing flexibility is a hard one with this. I think the factory should leave it as is, yet give the user the ability to dislodge and/or separate the DN UP text. This way it starts simple and easy, yet provides an escape from that stupid dance.

Like the 3D/2D function of grids. Set to 2D to change the location independently