Thread: Bluebeam Bandwagon

Login to Give a bone

Default Bluebeam Bandwagon

The Estimating Department here at Gaithersburg Architectural Millwork is enthusiastically using and promoting Bluebeam ( http://www.bluebeam.com/ ).

Everyone else is catching the bug, and it does seem really powerful. Here in Drafting, we are benefiting from the navigation aids that Estimating puts in the file that we work from.
    They add hyperlinks to navigate within the Bid drawing set, out to their proposal, or out to a vendor web site.
    They can also slip-sheet in Revisions, ASK's, RFI answers, etc. All this within ONE document is just great.

We in Drafting would like to be able to do the same with our pdf'ed Shop Drawings, so the PM's, Installers, etc can navigate our electronic files in a similar manner.
    Click an elevation marker, and jump to that view...Click a section marker there, and jump to it...jump further to a detail, etc.
    Call out a hardware or appliance item, and have it link to the web site.

The reason I am reaching out is that I would like to know if there are features within AutoCAD (2014+) that can take advantage of these Bluebeam hyperlinking features, and embed them directly during the drafting/plotting process.
    Or does that need to be done after they are pdf'd, within Bluebeam?

When we do a project, there may be more than 5 people working on different items, each creating multiple pages and maybe several separate .dwg files.

We are using plain AutoCAD, and are not using Sheet Set Manager. (Does SSM work for output documents, or only within AutoCAD?)

Are there any CAD / Bluebeam experts out there?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bluebeam Bandwagon

Are your marker callouts using hyperlinks to the corresponding details / sections / elevations? Sheet Set Manager helps in automating the hyperlinking if used appropriately.

I have no idea how bluebeam uses this information, if at all, when generating PDF documents.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

You can put your hyperlinks in your dwg's and each time you plot, they will get transferred to the pdf. Bluebeam is the only pdf creator I've found that recognizes hyperlinks in dwg's.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Not many out there using Bluebean, I guess.
    I'll have to research SSM for myself.

Login to Give a bone

I've used Bluebeam for years. I think there might be some confusion here? Bluebeam doesn't have anything to do with SSM. It creates pdf's by means of its printer driver. When using SSM, you can specify a page setup that uses Bluebeam as the printer, but you would need to have your hyperlinks set up in each dwg.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkellogg View Post
    Not many out there using Bluebean, I guess.
    I'll have to research SSM for myself.

Login to Give a bone

The point is to figure out if AutoCAD can do the bookmarking, without having to go through the process in Bluebeam Extreme.
    (Bookmarking - the ability to click a drawing element -in a .pdf- such as a section marker and be transported to that section drawing, whatever page it's on.)

Is this "transporting" something that SSM can do?
    Can a set of .dwg's be printed to Bluebeam and have whatever magic SSM does translate over?

Again, I have never used SSM, but I am willing to learn it, whether or not the Bluebeam thing works.

Login to Give a bone

SSM does create hyperlinks when creating callouts from inserted views, inserted sheet list tables, among other items.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Plus, you can create a hyperlink on any entity within the dwg. Use the HYPERLINK command to do what you call "transporting". The point is that the hyperlink must exist in the dwg first before Bluebeam can create a link in the pdf. It seems that you are looking for a way to automatically create hyperlinks. SSM can do some of that, but I suspect that you will also need to create some links manually. To do as Opie suggests also requires some setup and possibly a change to the way you work.

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Plus, you can create a hyperlink on any entity within the dwg. Use the HYPERLINK command to do what you call "transporting". The point is that the hyperlink must exist in the dwg first before Bluebeam can create a link in the pdf. It seems that you are looking for a way to automatically create hyperlinks. SSM can do some of that, but I suspect that you will also need to create some links manually. To do as Opie suggests also requires some setup and possibly a change to the way you work.
    And also with eXtreme you can add hyperlinks manually, if they don't get caught in the creation process. The problem would be the number you're talking about, if it's a few or hundreds...

Login to Give a bone

Anybody have a line on how to bring AutoCAD layers into Bluebeam?