Thread: Latitude and Longitude

Login to Give a bone

Default Latitude and Longitude

Hi all,
    I start work as a junior civil engineer, new to cad. My Clint give me a tender drawing. i need to find the coordinate of a particular point (Latitude and Longitude), to see it in google maps.
    I use ID to see and paste it in the link < > but it shows Longitude is out of range.

anybody is there to help me
    thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Latitude and Longitude

You could create a COGO point for each location. As long as the drawing as an assigned coordinate system, the latitude and longitude can be determined in Civil 3D. The coordinate system can be set through the Drawing Settings option when right-clicking on the drawing name on the Settings tab of the Toolspace palette.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    You could create a COGO point for each location. As long as the drawing as an assigned coordinate system, the latitude and longitude can be determined in Civil 3D. The coordinate system can be set through the Drawing Settings option when right-clicking on the drawing name on the Settings tab of the Toolspace palette.
    Like Opie stated, you cant label Lat/Long in plan unless you define the coordinate system first. Once you do that you can setup a simple Note Label for Lat/Long and label up the drawings that way. You can also set up Northing and Easting Labels this way.

I like using Note Labels instead of filling up my drawing with COGO points, unless you need to export the information out, then the COGO points should be used.

I do this alot for Cell Tower surveys as the Lat/Long is required for certain forms that need to be filled out.

Login to Give a bone

You can also use the USACOE CorpsCon to convert point locations between different coordinate systems, eg State Plane to Lat Long. but of course, you've got to know the original coordinate system _first_.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by usamath84689592 View Post
    Hi all,
    I start work as a junior civil engineer, new to cad. My Clint give me a tender drawing. i need to find the coordinate of a particular point (Latitude and Longitude), to see it in google maps.
    I use ID to see and paste it in the link < http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx > but it shows Longitude is out of range.

anybody is there to help me
    thanks
    I've used that site before, are you sure you entered the right zone and that the drawing coordinates are State Plane Coordinates? 5000,5000 would be out of range for any of them as an example.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    Like Opie stated, you cant label Lat/Long in plan unless you define the coordinate system first. Once you do that you can setup a simple Note Label for Lat/Long and label up the drawings that way. You can also set up Northing and Easting Labels this way.

I like using Note Labels instead of filling up my drawing with COGO points, unless you need to export the information out, then the COGO points should be used.

I do this alot for Cell Tower surveys as the Lat/Long is required for certain forms that need to be filled out.
    As I rarely use Note labels, I did not know they had that property available. Thanks.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

As well stated by Cadtag, you have first to set the correct CRS in your drawing (command _ADESETCRDSYS).

Once set it up, run the command _MAPTRACKCS to see your ID coordinates "on the fly" converted into Lat/Long.

Finally, copy&paste the LL pair in Google Maps: enjoy, sir.

Login to Give a bone

Just an FYI - I had forgotten how to control coordinate display precision in the MAPTRACKCS pane and it took me a bit to find it again so I'm documenting it here.

Units - Distance

Doesn't make sense to be controlled by the distance precision... but there it is.