Thread: How to fix material on a chimney - made as an in-place mass sweep?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to fix material on a chimney - made as an in-place mass sweep?

Hello!
    Perhaps someone has the answer!
    How to fix material on a chimney - made as an in-place mass sweep?

Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to fix material on a chimney - made as an in-place mass sweep?

Like any other object in Revit a mass has materiality associated with it.
    You'll need to select the in-place mass, edit in place and you should be able to change the material assigned to the mass object.
    On another note, using masses to represent 'real' geometry is not necessarily the best practice. I would construct the chimney as it will be built in the field, using walls and a small roof or chimney cap family. For quick and easy simply make it as an in-place generic model family rather than a mass.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot!
    I figured it out - see the image.

I also have tried to make four leaning windows on the rooftop by a sweep of one of them - but the size is not good - so now I want to change the size of one of them so the other three will change in the same degree - is that possible?
    Now it doesn´t function! I have to do a family for triangular windows first?
    And windows you have to insert in walls - but there is no 45 degrees leaning walls!
    So how to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    an in-place generic model family
    And I found this - it is what you meant?
    Revit Generic Models
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufTJWh9gHE

HERE IS THE IMAGE WITH THE WINDOWS:
    chimney02.jpg
    Last edited by care; 2016-03-10 at 10:02 AM.

Login to Give a bone

There are many ways to create that particular 'window'. Based on your questions I am guessing you don't have a great deal of experience with Revit and the family editor so my suggestion for a quick response would be to look into creating this as a roof using the 'sloped glazing' type. That should give you some representational geometry.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot!
    Your suggestion
    a roof using the 'sloped glazing' type
    and you can make triangular windows?

I have looked at this - Revit Tutorials: Creating A Revit Window Family - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKfrHeR0ek&spfreload=1
    Perhaps not triangular windows! But how to fix a triangular one in a 45 degree leaning wall - perhaps someone else has fixed it?

Or I have to do it in Sketchup import it to Revit.

Another question have you used animated people in Revit - Archicad has animated people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei3T1Py9gcc
    - or I have to do it in 3DStudio max - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9flVw99KJk ?
    Or I am thinking of trying to do it with a .fbx export to Blender and then Adobe Fuse - have you tried?

I cannot find links on animated people in Revit on Augi - perhaps you have some good links?

Login to Give a bone

Animation is not available within Revit. You will need to use Max to accomplish this.
    I have attached a really basic 'skylight' that you can use as a placeholder.
    You can adjust the width (it is set to be a square base) and height. The 'frame' is just a quick sketched profile and I've added a 25mm thick extrusion for the glass.
    Have a look at the family and see if you can reverse engineer it. To keep it simple I did not use adaptive components or anything beyond the basic sweep and extrusion tools.
    I would strongly suggest that you check into some training in the family editor if you are hoping to get the most out of Revit.

Care: there seems to be an issue with my attachment quota. Until I can get it sorted out, feel free to send me a PM containing your e-mail address and I'll send you the file.
    Last edited by Dimitri Harvalias; 2016-03-11 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Can't attach family

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot!
    I have sent you my email adress so you can send me the window
    Thanks in advance!

Have you worked with Revit - Max - animated people?

Perhaps you have some good links on that and on the Family Editor?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot!
    Looks good but I have Revit 2015 perhaps you can save it in an earlier version - 2015.
    That would be very good - thanks in advance.

Have a look at the image and you will understand:

Attached Images Attached Images