See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: C3D & Revit play well together?

Login to Give a bone

Default C3D & Revit play well together?

Our client just switch from designing the site plans and building layouts in ACAD to designing in Revit. Cool; I like Revit. But his CAD monkeys are having a hard time providing us something with which we can design in C3d. Likewise, our client will need to take our DWGs (converted from C3d to ACAD) and make use of them in Revit. What can we expect? How painless is this?

I'll also post this in the Revit forum.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: C3D & Revit play well together?

I'll be interested in what you find out... Some of the architects I work with are using Revit for ACOE jobs, and the coordination between us is.... painful? Not that I really need their model, but utility connection locations / depths and building footprints are kinda necessary.

Of course, after x-many years of dealing with multiple software packages, I've come to understand that 'seamless integration' really means 'buy lots of duck tape". Good thing the rolls come in so many colors and patterns today!

AUGI President Kimberly Fuhrman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: C3D & Revit play well together?

I work in a Civil/Architectural office. We go back and forth all the time. Depending on the version of Revit that you're using, there is a tool called "Building Sites". This allows you to export a "clean" model in an ADSK file format that the C3D people can import seamlessly into their projects. Another aspect is to make sure Shared Coordinates are used, so that the base points of the projects in both Revit and C3D match. As far as going from C3D to Revit, it's pretty easy to import a C3D DWG link into Revit, but Revit does not like hatch patterns. If we're just using the surface, we've found it easier to export the surface into a new DWG and dumb it down to 3D polylines. Hope this helps!
    It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C, Assoc. AIA