See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Window Family Opening Cut @ Curved + Straight Wall Join

Login to Give a bone

Default Window Family Opening Cut @ Curved + Straight Wall Join

Hello all,

I'm having a strange issue with a window family's opening cut. Opening cuts are unlike a void extrusion where you can't modify how deep it cuts. For instance, I wish it was possible to add a small buffer or offset from the interior/exterior face of the wall on the opening cut. Unfortunately, void extrusions do not seem to cut through the hosted wall (other extrusions and created elements only). Specifically a curved wall joining with another wall is where I'm having issues with the family cutting. The window elements were created in the window-hosted family and not nested in. Below are two pictures in plan view. The first shows the wall join condition (where I've hidden my window family) and the second shows the window family with the strange piece not being cut on the joined and non-hosted wall. I'm thinking this problem is happening since this wall isn't the window's true host, but happens to overlap the join condition. Also, it could be because my family is designed for a linear wall and not to adapt to a curved one (I don't want any of the window's components to be curved). Any thoughts? I'd prefer not to recreate the family if possible.

Thank you for your time,
    AJM
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Window Family Opening Cut @ Curved + Straight Wall Join

Void extrusions do cut through walls: in this case they would have to be bigger than the wall thickness thou to take into consideration the curve on the wall.
    Saying that, quite often with opening cuts, if you us the "join" tool and join the walls together the opening cut will then cut both walls...have you tried that?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response Alex. I went in and used the join command on the two walls where I was having the condition. I know this trick works on two wall types acting as a composite wall when you need a door's opening cut to cut through both of them. But unfortunately it didn't work here. I also tried a couple things with the void extrusion. Creating the extrusion in the original family I made, cuts and hides some of the components that make up the window. So right away, that wasn't the solution. Next I tried to nest my window into a component wall-based family. Inside this family I then created a void extrusion. My window remained untouched which solved the initial issue I had. However, after placing the now component into my model, it seems the issue remains unfixed. I know I mentioned this in the opening post but this issue is ONLY happening where two walls connect.

I'm willing to try any suggested solutions at this point and appreciate the help. Thanks again Alex.

AJM

Login to Give a bone

Problem solved! I created a void extrusion in my original family file (not the nested version I've tested). Used the 'Uncut Geometry' tool to remove the elements in my window that were disappearing or 'being cut' by the void extrusion, thus eliminating that first problem I was having. Then, I made sure the checkbox 'Cut with Voids When Loaded' in the Family's properties window under 'Other' was checked on. After loading the newer version into my model, there was one final crucial step. I again used the cut tool but this time - 'Cut Geometry'. Selecting the wall first and then the window, properly cuts that weird piece I was seeing with the void extrusion. Credit to my coworker.

AJM