Thread: Finish Key

Login to Give a bone

Default Finish Key

I do work for a large hospital campus with thousands of rooms. I have a property set definition for room finish objects that is associated with all spaces and then a schedule defined to show each room that is being modified for a given project in a finish schedule. Since we use the same finishes all the time I have a drop down box (created with a list definition for each material category - floor, base, wall etc.) to select each finish number for each space(VCT-1).

I would like to have a schedule showing a finish key that lists each different finish schedule item (but only the ones used in each project) (i.e. VCT-1, Paint-1, Base-1, etc.) by number and actual product (VCT-1 = Armstrong Floor Tile 7294 - Beige).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Finish Key

You will likely need a separate schedule for each material category. If you have an easy way to limit the selection set to just the Spaces that are receiving new finishes (using a layer wildcard if they are all on a "new" layer, and any other Spaces are on an "existing" layer; or setting up a Classification so that you can set a unique classification value on the Spaces being altered for this project), that will help. You could then set up a Schedule Table that includes a column for the property for the finish for a particular material category and then add a Quantity column. Adding the Quantity column will collapse all identical rows into one row; hide the Quantity column if you do not want to see the total number.

The hard part will be getting the extended description data into the schedule. You certainly do not want to enter that data in a manual property for every material category for every Space. List Definitions allow you to enter a Description; unfortunately I do not see an out-of-the-box way to access that data in a Property in the finish Property Set, based on the selected item for a given material category. I am thinking that it may be possible to use a formula property to extract the Description value associated with the selected finish item, but I am not certain if the data is exposed and, if it is, do not have any suggestions for the VBScript code that would be needed to do so.