Thread: wall layers

Login to Give a bone

Default wall layers

Hi all, I wonder if anyone has solution to this:
    Is there any way to change certain wall layer to different color/style in section?
    To clarify - I have several wall types in model from the architect. The core (inner leaf) of each wall is masonry, but the outer leaf and insulation etc differ. Some have block outer leaf and this has to be shown clearly. However any other (cladding, stone etc) should be thin gray line (just to indicate it is there but not important from structural point of view).

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: wall layers

Quote Originally Posted by karolpiroska View Post
    Hi all, I wonder if anyone has solution to this:
    Is there any way to change certain wall layer to different color/style in section?
    To clarify - I have several wall types in model from the architect. The core (inner leaf) of each wall is masonry, but the outer leaf and insulation etc differ. Some have block outer leaf and this has to be shown clearly. However any other (cladding, stone etc) should be thin gray line (just to indicate it is there but not important from structural point of view).

Thanks
    So is this a Revit Structure model problem (as the thread category suggests) or a Revit Architecture model problem?
    Are you linking in an Arch model to a Structural model and you're trying to control it? Vise-versa?

Is the masonry wall in the structural model or the arch model?

(I don't have an answer for you, but these are questions that need to be answered)

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ted,

not certain what is not clear on that as the solution would be applicable to both Revit structure or architecture (at least I cannot see how it wouldn't). But yes, it is Revit "structure" problem, using wall types from architectural model. I'm trying to control how wall layers are displayed in section thro wall that is within the model.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ted,

not certain what is not clear on that as the solution would be applicable to both Revit structure or architecture (at least I cannot see how it wouldn't). But yes, it is Revit "structure" problem, using wall types from architectural model. I'm trying to control how wall layers are displayed in section thro wall that is within the model.

thanks
    There is a difference; Structural revit doesn't have the same wall types the Architectural revit. I was wondering how you have your project set up.
    This is really a Revit Architecture problem. Sounds like you want to control architectural wall families when cut in section correct?

I also was wondering if you had structural masonry wall (CMU) in a structural model and the linked arch model held the other stuff, in which you could half-tone the arch model.

Can you explain more of your file set up?
    Are you simply in an arch model using Revit Structure?

Are you in a Revit Structure model with a linked Arch model?

**I suspect there is a solution to your problem (not sure if I have one) but editing the visibility graphics or maybe the wall type families may be something.
    Last edited by tedg; 2016-03-30 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added note

Login to Give a bone

Sorry Ted, I am not following. I can create in Revit any wall I like, with any layers, materials etc. , it can be assigned as structural (shear, bearing or combined) or as architectural wall. It doesnt matter where it came from. The question is if it is possible to control certain layers. I know you can control globally thickness or color via cut line styles or object styles, but I wanted to know if it is possbile to change appearance of edges (not patterns) when you cut thro certain type of wall.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry Ted, I am not following. I can create in Revit any wall I like, with any layers, materials etc. , it can be assigned as structural (shear, bearing or combined) or as architectural wall. It doesnt matter where it came from. The question is if it is possible to control certain layers. I know you can control globally thickness or color via cut line styles or object styles, but I wanted to know if it is possbile to change appearance of edges (not patterns) when you cut thro certain type of wall.
    Ok maybe you're right, not something I've done before.
    Anyway, I think what you want to do is possible, by maybe editing the families.

That's a bit over my head, maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion.

Login to Give a bone

I believe you might able to do that with a view filter.
    The problem is that it will change all of the layers of the cut wall and not just the outside.
    Is that the kind of thing you're looking to do?
    Or are you trying to get one layer of a wall to show up as a different color when cut in plan or section?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Ok two things
    1 - yes it is possible and
    2 - The difference between architecture and structural walls is primarily the "discipline" (architectural walls are not considered "structure" and therefore contain no analytic nodes and will not show if you change your view properties to show only the "structural" discipline. Conversly, structural walls will not show if you filter a view to "architectural" in the properties. If you model a piece of wall using the "arch" wall tools and a piece using the "structure" wall Tools click on the arch wall and you will notice that the "structural" tick-box (in the properties of that wall) is turned off and the discipline is set to architect.

The appearance of your layers is controlled in the material.

You need to edit your wall type, then edit the "structure" of the wall.
    Then you can access the material that has been used, and edit the "appearance".

I strongly advise if you wish to do this, to create two walls. One that is the core structure, and another that is the outer architectural layers with a large enough void left in the right place for the structural model to fill it. This way you have total visibility control. Major drawback is you have to model openings twice, but otherwise it solves more problems than it creates to have two elements modelled for the one wall.