See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Starting as a CAD manager

Login to Give a bone

Default Starting as a CAD manager

Background: So, I’ve started a new job in the newly created position of Designer/AutoCAD operator/manager. This company hasn’t used AutoCAD before to create its drawings. They purchase AutoCAD 2016 and no one even opened the software before I started. So now, 3 weeks in. I’ve spent this time created templates and standards. (I’ve always worked for corporate America where these things were done.) Right now it’s just me with one license, but if I pull this off and the company grows, I will be in charge of others someday. Which leads to my question.

Question(s): 1. If you’re starting from scratch, what all are you mindful of when creating standards? I’m working on, coversheets, title blocks, stb pen style, layers, text and dimensions, linetypes, and the block library. Any other suggestions?

My goal is to create a template with these things that Qnew will open and the blocks in the tool palette.

2. Also, any tips on documenting everything getting setup?

Links to tutorials and other threads are always appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Starting as a CAD manager

The first question, and one that rarely gets asked, is what is the purpose of your standards? Efficiency and interoperability only occasionally coincide when it comes to standardization.

the second question, is to what extent will your drawings be used by external parties? eg are the standards going to be based on strictly internal use of dwgs, or will you be sharing yours stuff with external parties (and taking advantage of external partner's dwgs?

and third, what industry do you work in?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    The first question, and one that rarely gets asked, is what is the purpose of your standards? Efficiency and interoperability only occasionally coincide when it comes to standardization.

the second question, is to what extent will your drawings be used by external parties? eg are the standards going to be based on strictly internal use of dwgs, or will you be sharing yours stuff with external parties (and taking advantage of external partner's dwgs?

and third, what industry do you work in?
    First answer: My purpose in creating standards is for establishing consistency. Somewhat- Here, they produce drawing that are on 8.5x11 and are not to scale. They throw dimensions on the drawing for item locations.

Second answer: unknown yet. As far as I can tell I will be sending pdf's. Haven't got there yet. But part of the reason this position was created (the autocad operator) was for a more efficient way of sharing files back with clients. (they had been doing all there work in Google sketchup) importing and exporting the .dwg.

Third answer: family entertainment. We design and install laser tag arenas and mini golf courses and such. http://www.thewoweffect.com/

Login to Give a bone

So, it's sorta AEC/facility type work rather than widgets and manufacturing. In that case, and planning for the future, look at adopting/adapting national schemes. If in the US, look at the National CAD Standards, or if no oe is willing to shell out the money, the Army Corps stuff from the CADBIM Center. The latest ACOE is based off the latest NCS, and sticking wiht that will pout you in fair shape to collaborate with other groups later on.

Avoid any fonts/linetypes other than what comes out of the box or with Windows, and preface the text style/dimnstyle names you set up with a company prefix, eg WE_Arial, WE_Dims, etc.

Login to Give a bone

and don't use the name "standard" for anything.

Login to Give a bone

Be mindful that your primary role is to produce CAD (makes the company money), and secondary role is to manage CAD (costs the company money)... Take the time you need to manage CAD, in order to benefit your producing CAD.

Find out what's important to your employer, and focus ALL of your energy on accomplishing that - in my limited experience working in a small shop, speed is king.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by H_Wilmer View Post
    Background: So, I’ve started a new job in the newly created position of Designer/AutoCAD operator/manager. This company hasn’t used AutoCAD before to create its drawings. They purchase AutoCAD 2016 and no one even opened the software before I started. So now, 3 weeks in. I’ve spent this time created templates and standards. (I’ve always worked for corporate America where these things were done.) Right now it’s just me with one license, but if I pull this off and the company grows, I will be in charge of others someday. Which leads to my question.

Question(s): 1. If you’re starting from scratch, what all are you mindful of when creating standards? I’m working on, coversheets, title blocks, stb pen style, layers, text and dimensions, linetypes, and the block library. Any other suggestions?

My goal is to create a template with these things that Qnew will open and the blocks in the tool palette.

2. Also, any tips on documenting everything getting setup?

Links to tutorials and other threads are always appreciated.
    Agreed with what others have said.
    My input is "discipline". The standard only works when others comply it. You may also find it helps if you can write a piece of a preloaded AutoLisp and installed to all cad users' machines. You can minimise the feasible arguments.
    HTH

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    and don't use the name "standard" for anything.
    Funny, but poignant. Ditto.

AUGI President Kimberly Fuhrman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Agreeing with all of the previous posts, my philosophy has always been Keep It Simple...you want to create documentation that isn't too involved, or people won't use it. Keep it simple, straight-forward, and to the point. Our "standards" cover about 90% of project scenarios. Always allow for *some* flexibility in the areas that you don't feel are as important as others. And ask for input from your potential users, if possible. Find out what are they used to seeing in their current workflow, and how do they forsee the transition. Coming in as an "outsider" and attempting to change things "the way we've always done them" can be treacherous territory. It can be done, but don't expect warm fuzzies in the process.
    It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C, Assoc. AIA

Login to Give a bone

If users aren't burning you in effigy.... you're doing something wrong.