See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Searching for which view a section was taken from

Login to Give a bone

Default Searching for which view a section was taken from

Currently working in Revit 2015 on a workshared project - I need to find where a section view was taken from by a previous person on the project which is not referenced on any views/sheets. The person has left the office now so I need to find it myself...

Is there a way to find what view a section was taken from, without knowing if it has been taken from plan, or a elevation or section. I need to find the section's section marker in a view to move it, however am really struggling to find where the person who created this section took it from. It is not referenced on any of the views/sheets. (It is a section being used as a detail callout, ideally this would have worked better as a proper callout I'm guessing)

I've tried: revealing hidden elements, temporarily applying an empty view template on any views that could have the section in, making a new floor plan of the floor the section should be in. I know what floor and area the section is taking, and I have a feeling the section was taken inside another section view, is there a way I can find the section marker from these clues?

Last resort would to be make the view again from scratch but I would like to see if it's possible to find the original section first.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Searching for which view a section was taken from

With the view open, right-click in the view > choose Find Referring Views. Examine each of the views in the list. You may have to use Reveal Hidden Elements if it has been hidden in any of them.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have had this before and in that section view, I made the view taller so reveal more floors and set the view range a longer. Have a small view of the section open and then have 2 floors and the 3d view open as well. Click on the section box and look at all other views open. Some markers will show in the area you are looking for. Then you can narrow the area down. Another way is to click on something specific in the section view and use the id number to locate the location.

Login to Give a bone

Personally I think it would be easier to just recreate the view. Create the proper callout, then copy any annotation from the old view to the clipboard, then do Past Aligned Same Place in the new view. Done.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    With the view open, right-click in the view > choose Find Referring Views. Examine each of the views in the list. You may have to use Reveal Hidden Elements if it has been hidden in any of them.
    It is fine to access the referring view. But I have hundreds of sections taken from the referring plan view. How can I find the location of a particular section?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aksha528601 View Post
    It is fine to access the referring view. But I have hundreds of sections taken from the referring plan view. How can I find the location of a particular section?
    As previously noted, with both the Section and referring View open, clicking on the Section Box will highlight the Section callout. See image below. Of course, if you have hundreds of Section callouts in one view, it may not be easy to see that highlight. You may want to try selecting some of the items in the Section and then look for those highlighted items in the referring View, to be able to zoom to the general vicinity of the area being cut by the Section, and then select the Section Box to highlight the callout.
    2018-11-29_Revit2019_SelectingSection.png