Thread: VG Options doors & windows

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default VG Options doors & windows

Just trying to set up some view templates especially for reflected ceiling plans, however I have found the same problem present in plan view style plans.

I need/want my doors and windows to show with a hatch pattern.
    My families are simple void families (door and window families) they have no framing or glass etc modelled it is just the opening.

When I access VG options, I can modify "projection" and "cut" patterns, and set whatever I want, in this case solid hatch with a grey tone (but I tried other options to see if they worked also and they did not)

So I tried just to get it to work, red solid hatch for doors cut and green solid hatch for doors in projection.
    It simply will not apply a hatch to doors or windows.

I have slabs, and walls set to 40% transparency, as I need to see elements above the slab in hidden line and with a different hatch applied.
    I have managed the line type and hatch pattern for "projection" (keep in mind its a reflected ceiling plan) to manage this and it works fine but my doors and windows simply show as voids and in the case of the elements in projection they show as hidden line which is correct but no hatch pattern will apply to them.

I have even just tried completely isolating just the doors and windows, and I can not apply a hatch to these elements.
    I was thinking at worst I can just use an overlaid view with these elements isolated, but even this approach will not allow a hatch to apply to doors or windows.

This actually wasn't a problem in 2015, it seems to be a new issue in 2016....

Ideas?
    Last edited by Craig_L; 2016-05-23 at 08:49 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: VG Options doors & windows

I'm surprised it wasn't a problem in 2015. Typically things that are "Voids" Don't have any solid thing to display, hence no Hatch.
    With 2016 Update R2, they added a nice new feature to Family creation so you can actually see the voids after you used them to cut. Prior you have to search around to find them.
    So that might be the reason why they don't function the same anymore.
    On a side note, Since you were able to define the void in the family (I'm assuming that you have some ref planes in there for face of wall and edge of opening. Couldn't you simply add a Solid in the same space as the void and not cut it? Then you have something that's solid.
    Just a thought. Maybe I'm missing something and this isn't as easy as it seems, but I've made tons of door and window families and this doesn't seem to be out of the question to me.