Thread: Revit won't allow a Tap as default transition

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit won't allow a Tap as default transition

Hi,

I am not able to tell Revit to use a tap as a transition in my duct routing preferences. I have the taps loaded into my project so that is not the issue. I also changed Beveled Taps as preferred junction type in routing preferences. I have also tried selecting the transition and manually changing it to a tap in the properties drop-down list but it doesn't appear on the list as an option. I attached a screen shot of my routing preferences and drop down menu when a transition is selected.

I am at my wits-end with this. I really like Revit but I hate how hard they make some basic things. Grrrrr.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you,
    Shawn
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit won't allow a Tap as default transition

The issue how Revit rigidly defines it's categories.

Transitions are for a linear run where you are changing size or shape, and can also be used as offsets.

Taps are for take-offs, perpendicular to the main duct run.

Your screen shot is too small to tell what the general layout it that you were aiming for, so I'll just guess... One common use is package AC units with plenum drops, you can have that vertical run of rectangular duct, cap the bottom, and 'tap' the sides with horizontal runs of round duct.

There isn't really a built in method for a horizontal run of rectangular duct with an endcap and a round tap in that endcap. One way I've simulated this is to add a parameter to override the total length of the rect->round transition and force it to be 1/4" long. This looks in plan view very much like a tapped endcap.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks very much for your quick response! I will try that trick. Though I'm not the best at customizing things like parameters but I shall strive to get better.

Login to Give a bone

I know this may be some weeks late, but I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish. If what you need is an end cap with a the ability to connect duct to it, I have one that i can give you with no customization required. However, from your pictures, I'm not sure if that is what you were trying to accomplish. If you havent already figured it out, can you be more specific about the end result you are trying to achieve?

Login to Give a bone

I just want Revit to allow me to use a tap instead of a transition when reducing duct size with rectangular duct or a transition that is only beveled on one side and straight on the other. It's really not too big of a deal but I would like to be able to model the actual parts the field will be installing.

Login to Give a bone

Are you basically looking to do this?Capture3.PNG If so, try the family I have attached. It is set to tap a round duct into a square end cap so you would need to put it in your routing preference as "Multi-shape transistion rectangular to round" if you want it to have a rectangular tap, you may edit the family and change the connector from round to rectangular. Then you can use it in your routing preference as just a plain "transistion" Same thing for setting it up for round to round.
    -B.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for that, I guess what I was looking for isn't technically a tap, it is an eccentric transition. In some instances, when I am reducing, I want the duct to stay flat on a certain side and only reduce on the other side like the picture I attached.
    I appreciate the effort and sorry if I didn't explain properly.
    Noticed you live in Seattle, I live in Ballard and work in Bothell, Enjoying the cooler weather so far!

Capture.PNG

Login to Give a bone

Oh. Ok I see what you mean. Check out the help files on using the the justification tool. It can be a bit tricky but it works once you figure it out. I agree, the weather is nice this week. Not too hot.