Summary: Have Navisworks file reader include Recap regions in selection tree or properties

Description: I have found that being able to categorize data within Navisworks to be a very powerful tool. A simple example in a manufacturing environment is when modifying production equipment pieces may be removed and new ones installed. The new ones may even be existing equipment moved or even a new piece of equipment from another plant. The quickest way to test the plan is to use scanned objects placed into an area or building model. However, it’s necessary to isolate objects in the scan. Currently I use Recap or Faro Scene to cut up scans into separate model to accomplish this which takes a significant amount of time. Additionally, I often use flat or “plane” surfaces to quickly transform section of scans into position in my building models (ex: match floor elevations). Recap has the capability to create “planes” into regions very quickly and subsequently isolate other objects into regions as you turn regions off and on. Beyond just equipment, this capability could be used for building elements, utilities, site features, etc. I think the list is only limited by one’s imagination.
Carrying these regions, like AutoCAD layers, into Navisworks would make the modeling workflow enormously faster. The video example Autodesk created for Recap demonstrates the power of Recap’s function, but then fails to indicate how useful this feature would be in Navisworks. Having this capability only in AutoCAD and Inventor is a serious deficiency in my opinion.

This is the video demonstrating the capability I’m referring to in Recap .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oep57AFOk8k

Product and Feature: Navisworks Manage - Workspace

Submitted By: AdvancedCM on 06/20/2016