Thread: how to gain and retain BIM talent

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default how to gain and retain BIM talent

I'm trying to find some statistics on industry standard for compensation, specifically vehicle allowance and mileage requirements for BIM personnel in construction, and I'm not having any luck. I figured what better place to go than where all the BIM managers look so here I am. We are trying to learn how to attract and retain talent and want to know what is typically offered in a compensation package. Do most BIM managers and coordinators get a vehicle allowance? Or do they just expense mileage to and from various jobsites? Or do they receive a company vehicle?
    I have a surveymonkey survey and would really love if people would take answer the 6 questions. It is anonymous.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: how to gain and retain BIM talent

Interesting... that's not something I'd typically think of as a benefit to ask about in the salary survey.
    My travel for any company I've been with, tends to be only a few times a year, though, so it is covered by the travel policy standard to the org, using standard rates for mileage and other expenses.

But, maybe I'm just not negotiating hard enough. Alas, a vehicle allowance is a bit much to expect when everyone in my company works from home.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I don't have an answer for this either.

But to me, a BIM manager / coordinator seems to be more of an in-house thing, and wouldn't require a lot of travelling.
    This job requires management of files, procedures and maybe people in and office environment, more like a cad manager.

Unless you're thinking a BIM manager is out in the field a lot for some reason, or maybe needs to commute to other offices on a regular basis?

I wouldn't expect anything special for vehicle allowance other than travel expenses when needed for this type of position.
    Just my thoughts.

Login to Give a bone

I concur with the previous responses on travel expenses as specific benefits.

Regarding the overall concept of getting & keeping skilled BIM managers, I would recommend providing opportunities for training & networking such as Autodesk University and Revit Technology Conference (including travel & lodging expenses) as those will have a direct impact on the skills & tools your BIM Manager will bring back to your company.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Assuming you are in the United States, vehicle allowances are actually tax deductible. So rates are fairly standardized across all fields, not just BIM talent.
    https://www.irs.gov/publications/p46...blink100034124

In my experience, most BIM managers do not get a vehicle allowance unless they are traveling to a project then coming home at the end of the week. I should clarify, yes they get reimbursed for mileage, but that's the same as any other employee.

I'll add that if we are essentially discussing a Per Diem then it gets very interesting, because once you pay for their expenses it may have been just as easy (actually, cheaper) for you to lease a car for them. A car lease is also a tax deductible business expense.

Login to Give a bone

So I'm not sure what others do as I'm the same boat as the previous posters.
    I don't travel much, but when I do, they rent the car for me and pay for gas and travel time.
    If I'm flying, they buy the flight and rental car and hotel if needed.
    That said if I was working for a construction firm and not a Brick and Mortar Office, I'm sure a lot more travel would be required.
    For our office when people do travel and some do travel a lot, that's paid for.
    If you're required to travel to a job site on a daily basis, that's where it gets a little tricky.
    Say you live 2 blocks from the Job Site but the office is 30 miles away, I believe travel to your office wouldn't be included, but travel from the office to the job site would be.
    But yes, there is a typical mileage that's more or less set in the US. This year I believe it's 54 cents per mile for personal automobile.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    So I'm not sure what others do as I'm the same boat as the previous posters.
    I don't travel much, but when I do, they rent the car for me and pay for gas and travel time.
    If I'm flying, they buy the flight and rental car and hotel if needed.
    That said if I was working for a construction firm and not a Brick and Mortar Office, I'm sure a lot more travel would be required.
    For our office when people do travel and some do travel a lot, that's paid for.
    If you're required to travel to a job site on a daily basis, that's where it gets a little tricky.
    Say you live 2 blocks from the Job Site but the office is 30 miles away, I believe travel to your office wouldn't be included, but travel from the office to the job site would be.
    But yes, there is a typical mileage that's more or less set in the US. This year I believe it's 54 cents per mile for personal automobile.
    It's not the same industry, but, my mother-out-law has to do a lot of running around town for her job. They don't provide the vehicle or insurance or anything like that, but, they do give her a credit card purely to be used for gas, which she can use at any time, so she's at least getting a bit back for the wear and tear on her car.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost