Thread: Design options showing in a linked file

Login to Give a bone

Default Design options showing in a linked file

I have an architect who has a muliti-unit building that i linked in to ours, his is made up of 12 seperate revit files itself with typ units and such. One has a design option in it that when in the arch model it shows up but in my electrical file where it's linked in doesn't.....how do i turn off/on design options in my file when it's in the arch file that has the options? the option is just a set of walls in one unit set there for a possible hvc shaft.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Design options showing in a linked file

Just a thought, do you know if he's using work sets?
    If I were him (and you) I would put those options on a workset and you can turn it off through the linked file(s).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

In the VG dialog, you can first select the link that contains the options, then select the Design Options tab to toggle the visibility. To make your model work, I'd recommend duplicating exactly the number and names of the design options in the linked file, then creating separate views for each option and setting the views' VG settings accordingly. If you do it like that, the "by host view" settings will control the architectural settings as well as yours.

Whatever you do, don't use worksets for design options (I'm assuming here that this is for the purposes of an alternate bid). You can control the visibility of worksets in specific views, but they're still in the model. Design options aren't.

Login to Give a bone

are design options working on the MEP side yet? Last time we even tried to use them, wiring would quit working once we created design options in our model.

Login to Give a bone

You can't create systems or spaces in them. They're garbage, but currently the best strategy for documenting alternate bids.

Login to Give a bone

Design options are only available one link deep. Meaning that one would be able to adjust a linked Revit model's design option only in the model it was directly linked into. If THAT model is then linked into another model (your electrical model) you are not able to adjust that design option that is now two links deep. Not really any solution to this. The architect will have to create a separate model for each option, which is simple enough.

Login to Give a bone

Wait, the links are nested? Oh god no. no no no

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by neightyeight View Post
    Design options are only available one link deep. Meaning that one would be able to adjust a linked Revit model's design option only in the model it was directly linked into. If THAT model is then linked into another model (your electrical model) you are not able to adjust that design option that is now two links deep. Not really any solution to this. The architect will have to create a separate model for each option, which is simple enough.
    This relates directly to a problem that I am having. I was handed a multi-family project where each unit comprises 1 link. Every unit is then placed into the building by loading in the links. Wait, there's more. This is a multi-building project, where the same unit is being used across multiple buildings. Thus, each building file is loaded into a "master" files from which all of the documentation is being done. Summary of setup: Unit rvt files linked (as attachments) into the Building rvt files of multiple buildings, which are then linked (as overlays) into a Master rvt file for documentation.

So here's the issue. The project has design options set up in the Building files. These design options are used to instantiate various versions of a unit in the same physical space. The reason for this is that there are several ALMOST identical buildings; almost, as in a few cases, one unit is exchanged for another unit. Yes, this means that one of the Building rvt files actually represents multiple buildings on the site. Therefore, one of the Building rvt files may be named something like, "Building A, B, and C."

The documentation was set up in the Master file to control the aforementioned "Building A, B, and C" rvt file's display via visibility/graphics dialogue>RVT links>Design Options. The problem: it doesn't work. All design options are displayed simultaneously, and there is nothing that can be done to change it. The display of the links works beautifully in the Building files, but, alas, does not in the Master file(!).

Any solutions?
    -I have, to date, been dealing with this by assigning the Unit links that are in the Design Options (in the Building file) to a Workset. I am using that/those Workset(s) in the Master file to turn off the unwanted unit(s). This, as you can imagine, is a painful process, and wreaks havoc on the View Templates. It seems (I reiterate, it seems) that this is a bug in Revit's programming. That is, if a link can be assigned to a Design Option in Building file, then that behavior should be the same once the building file is linked into the Master file.

Thanks!
    (please, forgive me for any typos - I didn't have time to proofread)