So as everyone knows Autodesk is changing its licensing structure, and everything is moving to subscription. We're in the middle of evaluating our options... with network licenses costing 30% more than a single user license ($1000/year per user), and with our office having 10-15 users, we're stuck between the cost of the network license versus the convenience of it.

So my question is, for those of you with experience managing larger networks, how difficult do you find it is to manage many single-user licenses? Do you have any tricks/techniques for keeping track of who has what? And does anyone have any insight for where the threshold is - the number of users where it makes sense to just pay for the convenience?

The way I'm seeing it, we have two classes of software - "Necessary" and "Optional". The "Necessary" software gets installed and used every day by all users - Outlook, AutoCAD, Windows. The "Optional" software gets installed but used from time to time - for us, Artlantis is in this category. Everyone uses it, but generally no more than 4 people at a time, so we have 5 licenses shared among 15 people. I'm starting to feel that it makes less sense to pay for a network license for software that is always-on, and more sense to pay for a network license for software that is always changing hands - has anyone found this to be true, or am I overthinking it?