See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Room Areas in rooms that cross levels

Login to Give a bone

Question Room Areas in rooms that cross levels

Hello,
    I'm a long-time AutoCAD user, but I'm just starting to scratch the surface of Revit. I'm currently applying Room Areas to a model, but on this one floor, one room's floor level is actually higher than the elevation level marker, so Revit is not recognizing the walls of the room when I try to place the Room Area.

I have a similar issue with another room. It is a hallway with a sloped floor and flat floor levels at either end. One end is below the floor level marker, and the other end is above it. This room is not recognized buy the Room Area command either.

In either of these cases, I've tried using a Room Separator to draw a boundary around the entire room (thinking in AutoCAD frame of mind I guess), but that has even more adverse affects.

Can anyone help a Revit noobie with this issue?

TIA

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Room Areas in rooms that cross levels

Hi,
    As far as I know, floors have nothing to do with the room boundaries recognition on plan views, but walls do. When there is no wall, you can place Room separation lines instead. The whole process is pretty well described in the online Revit help.

Login to Give a bone

As I mentioned, I already tried Room Separators but they don't work accurately either and every time I place one along a wall Revit gives me a warning. As far as floors not affecting rooms, you're partially correct in that a room can extend up through a two story room. However, in this case, the floor of this particular room is higher than all other rooms on this level by a distance of about 2 feet. And for some reason Revit will not recognize the walls. It acts as though I'm just trying to place a Room out in the middle of open space. It doesn't recognize the four walls at all. I checked and the walls ARE set to be room bounding, so that is not the issue either.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Well, I've never seen this case before. I figure out that the solution lies in a little detail specific to your file because I can't replicate it. Maybe searching in the Revit forums threads could help. Here is a related one for instance : http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...lace-room.html. A last solution would be to put your file online for a quick check (here is a little late but tomorrow).

Login to Give a bone

It may have to do with the Computational Height of the level, this Revit Forum post might help: http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...oundaries.html

But be careful Revit Help warns "Changing the computation height can affect the performance of Revit"...

Login to Give a bone

You need change level´s Computation Heigh over
    It must be above the lower level of the walls that you use as room's limit
    Select the level and change in properties

computation heigh.JPG

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by abrown View Post
    Hello,
    I'm a long-time AutoCAD user, but I'm just starting to scratch the surface of Revit. I'm currently applying Room Areas to a model, but on this one floor, one room's floor level is actually higher than the elevation level marker, so Revit is not recognizing the walls of the room when I try to place the Room Area.

I have a similar issue with another room. It is a hallway with a sloped floor and flat floor levels at either end. One end is below the floor level marker, and the other end is above it. This room is not recognized buy the Room Area command either.

In either of these cases, I've tried using a Room Separator to draw a boundary around the entire room (thinking in AutoCAD frame of mind I guess), but that has even more adverse affects.

Can anyone help a Revit noobie with this issue?

TIA

Hi,

In my case (an audience area in a leisure centre) I used an in-place component, category Floor, and shaped it to much what was needed ( a zig-zag kind of a thing) - this instead of a floor and a wall, and a floor, and a wall etc.. - and room area worked like a charm.
    I chose Floor category as the seats in the area were floor mounted, and the Revit family was floor hosted.
    However, the first time I modelled the Floor I went from bottom to top which was a mistake since the floor was then attached to the lower level and walls underneath (room bounding) followed the shape of the Floor resulting in their Room Bounding-ness affecting the next level.
    When I fixed the floor to the upper level and inversed the shape everything worked out perfectly. The Room Bounding-ness stoped below the upper floor and Room Area was clear of any obstacles.

I think that a picture explains the process better than my gibberish:

Attached Images Attached Images