See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central File Permission Hell

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Central File Permission Hell

In general (or in theory), no one should actually need to check out a full workset because Revit now has the capability to check out individual items as you modify them.

With that said, if am experiencing lag when checking out objects, and I am the only one working on a project, I will sometimes check out the whole workset so my local computer doesn't have to constantly query the server. This may be what your colleague is doing. But when I am finished for the day (or session, if shorter), when I do my last SWC, I make sure to check the "User Created Worksets" box in the SWC dialog ... this is the only box that is not automatically checked by Revit.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    When you are "Borrowing" worksets or items, it means you've pulled them of the book shelf to take a look at them. When you save and relinquish, you put them back.
    When you check out a workset, you're taking the workset and all the elements that belong to it out of the "library".
    This is one of the better ways I've seen it explained.
    http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/0...o-library.html
    Steve does a great job and breaking down worksets.
    The key is to make sure you're are relinquishing when you save.
    I hope this helps.
    Thanks. Again, yes we seem to be borrowing entire sets, but how can we not? All of the relinquish items in the Synchronize with Central window are grayed out. Now we're having this same problem on yet another project. I don't understand how to get this so that we're borrowing items rather than worksets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    In general (or in theory), no one should actually need to check out a full workset because Revit now has the capability to check out individual items as you modify them.

With that said, if am experiencing lag when checking out objects, and I am the only one working on a project, I will sometimes check out the whole workset so my local computer doesn't have to constantly query the server. This may be what your colleague is doing. But when I am finished for the day (or session, if shorter), when I do my last SWC, I make sure to check the "User Created Worksets" box in the SWC dialog ... this is the only box that is not automatically checked by Revit.
    Thanks CAtDiva, but all the boxes in SWC under "After synchronizing, relinquish the following worksets and elements" are grayed out. I don't know why. And, in the Worksets dialog box, it says that Workset1 is borrowed by my colleague. He sees in his window that the same workset is borrowed by me.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Our central files will not let us make an element editable; they require borrowing the entire workset. This is the gist of the problem. How do we fix this?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drubinoff View Post
    Our central files will not let us make an element editable; they require borrowing the entire workset. This is the gist of the problem. How do we fix this?
    Can you walk us through your process for opening a project?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    Can you walk us through your process for opening a project?
    I just got off a long phone call with Microdesk. Together, we created a new Central File and then created new local files by opening the Central File while checking "create local file". We are all still having the same problem. The guy from from Microdesk said that everything each person is working on needs to be on its own workset. I said I don't see why we can't check out individual elements rather than the entire workset, and he said no, a user ends up checking out the entire workset and then the other people on the team need to ask permission for absolutely everything to do with said workset. So, apparently this mess of permissions is normal (?!). I am now putting all my interior walls on a new workset so I can keep working on this project while a team member works on the facade. I still don't think this could possibly be normal, no?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drubinoff View Post
    I just got off a long phone call with Microdesk. Together, we created a new Central File and then created new local files by opening the Central File while checking "create local file". We are all still having the same problem. The guy from from Microdesk said that everything each person is working on needs to be on its own workset. I said I don't see why we can't check out individual elements rather than the entire workset, and he said no, a user ends up checking out the entire workset and then the other people on the team need to ask permission for absolutely everything to do with said workset. So, apparently this mess of permissions is normal (?!). I am now putting all my interior walls on a new workset so I can keep working on this project while a team member works on the facade. I still don't think this could possibly be normal, no?
    No, it's not normal.

After you created the new Central File, but before you closed it (to open with a new local file), did you do a SWC & relinquish the "User Created Worksets"?

Login to Give a bone

As they are the same reseller that we have, I'd like to know which person at Microdesk told you each person needs their own workset. Please send me a PM. Seriously.

Here's the process that I've used for years. Never failed. Again this assumes you're running on a legit server (You've already stated you are), you have good internal bandwidth, and you're not trying to run revit on an old P3 workstation.

I create my new project from a template (This assume you start all new projects from .rte file and not a .rvt file, but starting from a .rvt file would work in a similar method)
    Activate worksets (If you have A360 installed, you'll have to save the project locally first, then you'll want to make sure you select the "Collaborate within your Network")
    ~Revit will push and pull everything into 2 worksets - Workset1 and Shared Levels and Grids~
    Use the "Save As" option from the big "R" pulldown.
    Check the options button and make sure the check box for "Make this a Central Model After save" is checked.
    ~I usually pick the compact file and Set the open workset default to "Specify" - This allows me to choose which worksets to load by default down the road if I need to trouble shoot something.
    ~I also set my thumbnail preview.
    If it's checked Pick "ok" and save on your network drive.
    Exit Revit.
    Restart Revit
    Use the big "R" pull down and select Open.
    Navigate to the file on your Shared network drive.
    Select the file and make both the Create New Local and Audit boxes are checked. (Follow this process every time you or anyone else opens - Never open a file directly)
    If yes - Pick open.
    (If you've chosen the "specify worksets' option a dialog box should show up asking which worksets you'd like to open, open all of them)
    When the file opens, Pick the "Synchronize and Modify Settings Option"
    When that dialog box open, put a check in every box that isn't grey out. (Do this every time you and anyone else in the model saves, and do that every 30 min)
    Once you've done that, you should be all set.
    If you need to add more workset, add them and make sure that you sync with modify setting and check every box that isn't grey-out.

Our typical worksets we use are
    Z-Link-XXX (One for each revit link)
    A-Interior
    A-Exterior
    A-Core
    A-Datum

That's about it. This worked just fine with 23 people in one model Hard part was making sure everyone saved at the time they were supposed to.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

I agree with Cat and David.
    Whoever told you that you need to check out entire Worksets is just flat out wrong and should not be telling people that.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. It's not that that information is wrong. It's just slightly out of date.
    Beginning in, I believe Revit 8.1 (that's 8.1, not 2008 ), the "borrow entire Worksets" process became obsolete when Element Borrowing was enabled.
    Revit 8.1 was released in 2005. So your reseller's advice is 11 years out of date.
    Ever since then, as soon as you select an element and edit it, Revit should automatically borrow it for you. No extra "Make Element Editable" step necessary.
    Last edited by DaveP; 2016-08-05 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot that 8 followed by ) is a smiley

Login to Give a bone

And with element borrowing came another issue.
    When you select an element (even just to pick on it and check it's properties) Revit is doing lots on things.
    At least here's what we found while using a sniffer a few years back.
    First it checks to see if you have a valid license by checking your hard drive for standalones or pinging your license server.
    Then it checks the central file to see if anyone owns that element.
    then it checks the license file again
    then it allows you to do something
    If you want to move of change the object it checks for a license again, then the central file, then the license, then checks out the element, checks the license.....
    There's a ton of network packets the get sent around.
    Just some food for thought.

Login to Give a bone

Could be an issue with your network (or, it might not be), as Autodesk does not test/certify/support NAS or SAN devices. That does not mean it will not work, and I am certain plenty of people here will attest to using one or the other successfully.

One note: When you synchronize, the various relinquish after synchronizing toggles will be inactive [grayed out] if you do not currently have at least one of a given type borrowed. If you have nothing borrowed, all will be inactive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast