Thread: Export to CAD - Best Practices

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Export to CAD - Best Practices

Hello,

We just started a project in which the architect is using Revit, but we are using AutoCAD for HVAC and plumbing design. Does anyone have suggestions on how to set up a CAD export standard that we can continue to use as the architect sends updated models? In the past we would adjust the Visibility/Graphics in the arch model and then export to CAD, but you have to redo these settings every time the arch sends an updated model. I thought about creating a dummy project file with the arch model linked into it. Then you set up each view with the desired V/G settings for exporting. Therefore when we receive a new model all you have to do is reload the linked file, and the V/G setting will already be set up for export. Am I making this more complicated than necessary? Does anyone have a better method for exporting an architect's floor plans quickly and consistently every time they send an update? I have been using Revit for less than a year so I could be completely oblivious to an easy solution. Thanks for the help!

-Hal

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Export to CAD - Best Practices

I think you're on the right track to have their model linked into one of yours that has preset views.

I'm on the other end (architect) ... I have VTs set up for CAD export so I can quickly export to CAD for consultants not using Revit. I'm probably too accommodating, but found it works as well for me as just sending them the Revit model (and sometimes better ... there's still firm's out there that can't even open and export themselves).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Export to CAD - Best Practices

Agree with having their model linked into one of yours that has preset views. Going other way have 2d & 3d acad exports they can link to Revit. If linked to Revit in own worksets gives good control. Link 3D acad inside in place generic family to have it section properly