See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Drawing list order non-alphabetically

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Drawing list order non-alphabetically

My building is too long to fit on a single sheet, so we have split it into north and south plans with a match line. It is three floors. Here are my sheets as shown on my current drawing list:
    A-101N = FIRST FLOOR PLAN, NORTH
    A-101S = FIRST FLOOR PLAN, SOUTH
    A-102N = SECOND FLOOR PLAN, NORTH
    A-102S = SECOND FLOOR PLAN, SOUTH
    A-103 = THIRD FLOOR PLAN (the third floor is only over the south portion of the lower floors)
    A-104N = ROOF PLAN, NORTH
    A-104S = ROOF PLAN, SOUTH

All well and good, you say? No. The building is oriented so that north is on the right, south on the left. It would make much more sense graphically if the south plans came before the north plans in my drawing list, but alas! "N" comes before "S" in the alphabet!

This problem is repeated on the RCPs.

Any ideas how I might keep my very logically numbering, 101 = first floor, 102 = second, etc., and nomenclature, N = north, S = south, but have them show up S then N?!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing list order non-alphabetically

You could add a new parameter to the sheet list, and then assign and sort on that parameter, a,b,c,1,2,3 etc. Then create a duplicate list and hide that column so it won't show on the list you use on the drawings.

If there are a lot of sheets this could be a pain to keep up, but there it is.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing list order non-alphabetically

I already have a sheet order parameter for the disciplines, which is mildly annoying as it is. What you're suggesting would mean numbering every sheet, I think (or most sheets). That is a pain. It may be the only solution I find, but I'll keep looking for now! Thanks!

UPDATE:
    I tried using my parameter for sheet order that I use to order the disciplines (General, Civil, Architectural, Structural, etc) and it makes it so the grouping in the drawing list didn't work. Actually, I have two parameters set up, "Sheet Discipline" and "Sheet Order". Discipline is the name, order is an integer. Originally, I was sorting by order, then discipline, then sheet number with the discipline with a header. The order basically overrode the discipline so all the order numbers for each discipline were the same. That's confusing, but I've never liked having the 1-Architectural, 2-Structural, 3-... etc. as my drawing list headings.

BUT... if I use the 1-Architectural, 2-Structural, 3-... nomenclature, sort by discipline, then order, it sorts and groups correctly! So there you have it. What a messy workaround.

Thanks again bt.commenter. Your suggestion prompted me to reuse my "Sheet Order" parameter to make this work. Still don't like the solution, but I'll take it!
    Last edited by damon.sidel; 2016-08-29 at 01:25 PM.