Thread: What Is the Best Computer for Revit? - AUGIWorld august 2016

Login to Give a bone

Default What Is the Best Computer for Revit? - AUGIWorld august 2016

I read that article and quite frankly was startled. Xeon 44 core? At least 64 GB RAM? Nvidia Quadro M-series? Whoaa... isn't all this a bit steep? Can anyone explain why I should spend thousands of euro's on a machine running Revit?
    From my point of view, having a processor with lots of cores is pretty useless for Revit - most work Revit does is single-threaded. A high clock speed is more beneficial in that case. Ok, maybe if you have 44 applications open at the same time one could benefit of all those cores. Then the amount of RAM. The average Revit project hardly uses 16 GB of RAM. I would settle for 32 GB.
    And last, the video card. As far as I know Revit doesn't use any advanced features of video cards. Rendering pictures is done in the cloud anyway.

This is my opinion - I wonder what yours is regarding the article?

Simon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What Is the Best Computer for Revit? - AUGIWorld august 2016

If that's the Robert Green article, he's being paid by HP for his 'recommendations'. So consider them little more that 'slightly' technical advertisements,

Anyone who suggests a Xeon is required, or even beneficial, is not being completely honest. Xeon's may be great for a multi-user database on a server handling hundreds of requests per second, but is an excessively expensive choice for any kind of CAD machine. Especially as Xeon's call for ECC Ram, at a markedly higher price than non ECC RAM.

A pity that so many articles regarding CAD hardware seems to be by shills....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What Is the Best Computer for Revit? - AUGIWorld august 2016

"44 cores" must be a typo. Given the other specs I suspect apples are being compared to lumber rather than other apples. Those specs would be typical for a high-end review and/or rendering (rendering isn't *necessarily* done in the cloud, the in-program rendering uses a CPU-based engine so multiple cores and high per-core RAM average is best) computer, not something an average designer would be driving.

Edit: yeah, thought so. The article does NOT recommend those values. It *specifically* notes it under simulation and analysis and rendering, and "... consider blahblahmodel which can support up to two processors and blahblahblah threads...". Not cores, but threads; not recommended but available as an option. And not recommended for the average user but for a very specific, processing heavy use. Same thing applies to RAM. For the most part the article is OK aside from the limits applicable from the HP workstation product lines.

A direct link to the source would make things easier to look up in the future...