See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: CAD Standards or CAD & BIM Standards

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default CAD Standards or CAD & BIM Standards

Hi,

I looking to see what others have done with their CAD & BIM Standards.

Do you have a separate CAD Standards and BIM Standards? or a joint document CAD & BIM Standards document.

Cheers

Gareth

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD Standards or CAD & BIM Standards

Quote Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
    Hi,

I looking to see what others have done with their CAD & BIM Standards.

Do you have a separate CAD Standards and BIM Standards? or a joint document CAD & BIM Standards document.

Cheers

Gareth
    Joint.

What started out as a checklist for CAD file quality ended up being more of a workflow and process guide by the end.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That's interesting.

I am currently working for a University were have a CAD standards for external users and one for internal users. Which I am currently rewriting to bring into line with current standards and University requirements. I was personally thinking of setting up a joint one for external users but separate one for internal use, but I was thinking because they do cross over what is the best thing to do.

I want to keep both documents short but I am finding that they could be large due to the information that needs to go into them. What size of guide did yours end up being?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
    That's interesting.

I am currently working for a University were have a CAD standards for external users and one for internal users. Which I am currently rewriting to bring into line with current standards and University requirements. I was personally thinking of setting up a joint one for external users but separate one for internal use, but I was thinking because they do cross over what is the best thing to do.

I want to keep both documents short but I am finding that they could be large due to the information that needs to go into them. What size of guide did yours end up being?
    I can't remember actually, I left that job right after doing that update.
    I think it was only about 15 pages and bullet-pointed as much as possible because I'm well aware how little people like to read. As mentioned in my post, though, it was part of the standards and specifications included with every project, Section M, if I recall, so, quite a hefty book of standards (which happens in a medical environment, of course). I'm fairly certain no one read them when bidding, or starting a project, not until closeout when we would start going through the jobsite and pointing out the subpar materials, or reject the cad files or models.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Something that I picked up from a set of client standards that I like to see, are short "rationale" sections where useful. After the section text there would be an additional paragraph in italic text, beginning with "Rationale - blahblahblah", explaining some of the "whys" so the reader doesn't have to exercise too much Google-fu.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Gareth,
    Did you ever get any reply's to your post?

I am currently working with a company in developing an AEC cad Standard. does anybody have a standard they could share that hopefully references BS 1192.

Many thanks.

Lawrence