Thread: Plotting White Text on Black Background

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Plotting White Text on Black Background

Hello,
    I have read many forum posts about this but have not found an answer that works completely. I am working with a title block where the originator did not seem to account for the shades of different colors and how printing in greyscale brings out those shades. The title block prints great in greyscale and as it should with the exception of pipes and ductwork on the sheet (anything with color); a yellow duct for example is hardly visible. When I print in black and white, white text prints as black so it is not visible in the portion of the title block with a black background. If it matters, the background I am referring to is actually a black solid filled region.
    Many posts say to make the white text off-white, such as an RGB of 254 each rather than 255. This has not worked.
    What I have found that does work is exporting to .dwg the title block, opening the .dwg with AutoCAD, deleting everything but the text I want, exploding it to get just lines, exploding those segments, filling in the boundaries created by the lines with a solid hatch, and then importing the text into Revit. Essentially this is just a quicker way of creating a filled region in Revit. The problem is that some of the text contains curved letters such as "O" or "G" and Revit does not like using the smaller lines as a boundary for a filled region so those "letters" fail when the imported CAD is exploded. And I have to explode in order for the text to show up white on the black background. So what I am saying basically is that a white filled region will show up white when plotting. But since curved edges are basically made of small straight lines, and Revit does not like using small lines as a boundary, this method does not work completely.
    Also, we are plotting to PDF so using color is also not an option.
    I know there is a way to change how ducts, pipes, etc. appear so that they will be dark or black when printing in greyscale, but that will confuse too many people.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help!
    -Tim
    The model is in Revit 2015 and current with all updates.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plotting White Text on Black Background

The slight change in color does work, based specifically on how you described the problem. That makes me think that perhaps it's a draw order issue where the black prints over the font to give you a non-plot look.