Thread: BIM Execution Plan

Login to Give a bone

Default BIM Execution Plan

We have a new job starting and my task is to eventually put together a BIM Execution Plan (BEP). For this specific project my task is to put together a document stating what we will model and what we will not be modeling or detailing. So that we have clearly stated what our model can be used for. Basically we are trying to cover ourselves now before it becomes too late.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would not mind sharing there experience with this, or if they had a sample of what their MEP firm states at the beginning of a project.

Anything would be helpful...

Thank you in advance!!!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: BIM Execution Plan

I just finished putting together a BIM Execution Plan for the job I am currently on. It was my 1st one as well but I can let you know what we generally put in ours. As far as your MEP systems are concerned you could simply state that any piping above 1.5" should be modeled but that is up to you guys. I would get a little more in depth than this. A solid BIM execution plan should cover:

Introduction:
    The intended use of the model and goals for model usage. For example, this could be coordination between disciplines, monitor work in place, provide owner with accurate as-built model, etc.,
    Model management: Kick off meeting and what it will cover, model divisions and sharing, best practices & guidelines. (We referenced )
    Model management continued: initial responsibilities such as determining origin points, ongoing responsibilities such as how the models will be maintained, and by whom.
    Modeling Guidelines: what the X,Y, and Z are of the basepoint, tolerance of models, units (1=1), and scale.
    Coordination: VERY IMPORTANT Spatial Coordination Procedure. You need to sit down with your superintendent and ask who will need to move 1st and most importantly who moves last. This is often HVAC hard duct or gravity pipes. You will also need to lay out what the colors of each trade will be. This will eliminate all confusion in the furture. I took two pages just laying out this procedure.
    File Management: talk about how all models will be uploaded, stored, and distributed. This is also a great section to speak of the frequency of coordination meetings and model updates.
    Lastly, you will need to layout a naming structure for your project. If you are for instance using Navisworks Manage to run clash detection when you append all the subcontractor's models into your primary model, if they change the name of their file every week it will make this process difficult.

Hope this helps get you started,