Thread: Layer off to include blocks

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Default Layer off to include blocks

Summary: Turning off a layer will also turn off any blocks inserted on that layer whether or not the block was created using layer "0"

Description: Complex blocks are often created using 1 or more layers other than layer "0". (i.e. a standard detail). If that block is inserted on layer "A" then turning off layer "A" still leaves the block visible. The only ways to turn off the block is to 1) use the block editor to convert it to layer "0" and defeat the reason the block was created using layers (plot line weights, etc) or 2) open the block with the block editor, figure out which layers were used to create it and then turn off those layers also (pain in the butt and may turn off drawing entities you want left on)..

Why can't the drawing data be revised so that when you insert the block on layer "A", the definition of that occurence of the block includes a "inserted on layer X" so that when you issue the layer off command it searches for the definition and includes the block as part of layer "A"? Maybe this could be an option added to the LAYOFF command (i.e. "include Blocks y/n".

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Architecture - Layer Keys

Submitted By: rwright.24150 on 10/05/2016

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer off to include blocks

I would agree with that except it needs to extend to styles in Civil3d

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer off to include blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: Turning off a layer will also turn off any blocks inserted on that layer whether or not the block was created using layer "0"

Description: Complex blocks are often created using 1 or more layers other than layer "0". (i.e. a standard detail). If that block is inserted on layer "A" then turning off layer "A" still leaves the block visible. The only ways to turn off the block is to 1) use the block editor to convert it to layer "0" and defeat the reason the block was created using layers (plot line weights, etc) or 2) open the block with the block editor, figure out which layers were used to create it and then turn off those layers also (pain in the butt and may turn off drawing entities you want left on)..

Why can't the drawing data be revised so that when you insert the block on layer "A", the definition of that occurence of the block includes a "inserted on layer X" so that when you issue the layer off command it searches for the definition and includes the block as part of layer "A"? Maybe this could be an option added to the LAYOFF command (i.e. "include Blocks y/n".

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Architecture - Layer Keys

Submitted By: rwright.24150 on 10/05/2016
    That functionality is already in the program. Use LAYER Freeze instead of LAYER Off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    I would agree with that except it needs to extend to styles in Civil3d
    You may want to post that wish in the Civil 3D Wish List, so that the appropriate team sees it.