Thread: Revit Management - Fitout Coordination with Existing Models

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Management - Fitout Coordination with Existing Models

I am currently in the process of helping a company start up their life in Revit, however I haven't used Revit for about a year and my mind is a bit dusty on a couple of things.

We have a base building mechanical model (not ours and not our standard), we are doing a fitout to one of the levels adding a couple of FCU's and some additional pieces of ductwork. So my question is with regard to workflow.

- Do I link the existing model into my working project? or is it better practice to take the existing model and copy it into my working project and add phases?

My fear with the latter is that I do not want to be taking responsibility for the rest of the building when I re-issue the model to the client. Is it better just to clip out the level in question and issue it on it's own?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Management - Fitout Coordination with Existing Models

Quote Originally Posted by rjames_Vosgroup View Post
    I am currently in the process of helping a company start up their life in Revit, however I haven't used Revit for about a year and my mind is a bit dusty on a couple of things.

We have a base building mechanical model (not ours and not our standard), we are doing a fitout to one of the levels adding a couple of FCU's and some additional pieces of ductwork. So my question is with regard to workflow.

- Do I link the existing model into my working project? or is it better practice to take the existing model and copy it into my working project and add phases?

My fear with the latter is that I do not want to be taking responsibility for the rest of the building when I re-issue the model to the client. Is it better just to clip out the level in question and issue it on it's own?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
    Clip out.

As the client, I HATE when I get a bunch of documentation surrounding the project that conflict with either previous deliverables that I have received, or previous field surveys that I have conducted. Too much confusion and calling things into question.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Yes, what Melanie said: Clip out. Then create a new model without that scope included and link it in for reference, you never know what threads you're pulling that lead elsewhere beyond the immediately anticipated scope. I also always keep a copy of the original (intact) around as an unloaded link for if-and-when I need it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses.

If I'm understanding right, what I have done may be the way to go.

- I have kept the original model untouched and linked it to my working model
    - I have copied the working level from the linked file to make it live in my working model on an "Existing Mech" workset and it is also marked as "existing under phase"
    - I have switched off the workset for the same level in the linked file, so that only my live version is shown and can be changed and worked on where necessary for the fitout with all new ductwork on a "New mech" workset on the "New Construction" phase.

Login to Give a bone

We're working on a few similar projects.
    One we've got about 90+ potential projects - Each project is like 2 or 3 rooms to be remodeled. The owner only want individual models for each project. The owner then plans to stitch them back together. Now they already had models established and many of these projects may be run side by side, so phasing wouldn't work here.
    On another project we've started from scratch. We produced an existing model. Doing all demo work in the existing model. Then link the existing into our "New Construction" model. As projects are being complete and we turn over record docs, we're binding the new work with the existing model. The owner in this case says they have no need for the BIM model. But they're a long term client so we're doing this for our own benefit for future work down the road.
    Both projects are large Hospital complexes.
    Just this guys approach, but I only want one model when we're all done.