Thread: Duplication in COBie, NBS Shared Parameters

Login to Give a bone

Default Duplication in COBie, NBS Shared Parameters

Hi

We're looking at adopting the NBS BIM Object Shared Parameters for use in the office to standardise our families and maximise compliance with COBie, etc.

There are a number of Parameters with names which duplicate existing out-of-the-box Parameters in Revit 'Name', 'Description', etc.

We are considering editing the Shared Parameter file to add a Description (Tooltip) for the NBS-made values so that we can see them if we hover over them in properties. I'm aware that the general guidance is not to edit the Shared Parameter file. I propose ONLY to add a value for Description for each Parameter, NOT to change Groups, edit the Name value or anything like that and obviously, particularly not to change the GUID values. Given that I am taking these precautions ...

1. What happens if I add this Description and I later received a model with a Parameter with the same GUID but a different (or no) value for Description?

OR

2. What happens if I go further and edit the 'Name' value and I later received a model with a Parameter with the same GUID but a different name?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duplication in COBie, NBS Shared Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by willingfoe View Post
    Hi

We're looking at adopting the NBS BIM Object Shared Parameters for use in the office to standardise our families and maximise compliance with COBie, etc.

There are a number of Parameters with names which duplicate existing out-of-the-box Parameters in Revit 'Name', 'Description', etc.

We are considering editing the Shared Parameter file to add a Description (Tooltip) for the NBS-made values so that we can see them if we hover over them in properties. I'm aware that the general guidance is not to edit the Shared Parameter file. I propose ONLY to add a value for Description for each Parameter, NOT to change Groups, edit the Name value or anything like that and obviously, particularly not to change the GUID values. Given that I am taking these precautions ...

1. What happens if I add this Description and I later received a model with a Parameter with the same GUID but a different (or no) value for Description?

OR

2. What happens if I go further and edit the 'Name' value and I later received a model with a Parameter with the same GUID but a different name?
    We are working on a new set of master shared parameters for Revit that resolves much of this duplication. We have a community in place that would greatly benefit from your efforts in cleaning up the duplication and adding descriptions. Please join us at OpenRFA!

http://OpenRFA.org