See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: received revit file only has 3d view

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default received revit file only has 3d view

I recently received a Revit file that only has 3D view in the views in project browser. How am I able to view different level plans, elevations etc?

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: received revit file only has 3d view

Welcome to the forums.
    First, check that the project browser is not filtering out views that may already be present in the model.
    You can create new plan views for each level datum in the model. View>Plan Views>Floor Plan and select from the levels in the project.
    Once the flor plans are created you can add your elevation and section views.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

This sounds like a uncommon practice (that is pretty useful) that some firms use to send the models to consultants or contractors for coordination without sending them all the sheets and views and company specific items within the file. I could be wrong but we use this every so often.

What they do is they place a 3D view on a sheet, then go to the sheet and "right click" and select "Save to New File". This basically saved the 3D model to its own revit file without bringing along any sheets, schedules, views, etc... the purpose is typically for coordination to shrink the file size and not send any editable content (besides model info).

Just ask who sent the file to send you a detached copy of the file or create your own levels and sections in that model as Dimitri stated. Hope that clears up some confusion.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dpowersgkk View Post
    This sounds like a uncommon practice (that is pretty useful) that some firms use to send the models to consultants or contractors for coordination without sending them all the sheets and views and company specific items within the file. I could be wrong but we use this every so often.

What they do is they place a 3D view on a sheet, then go to the sheet and "right click" and select "Save to New File". This basically saved the 3D model to its own revit file without bringing along any sheets, schedules, views, etc... the purpose is typically for coordination to shrink the file size and not send any editable content (besides model info).

Just ask who sent the file to send you a detached copy of the file or create your own levels and sections in that model as Dimitri stated. Hope that clears up some confusion.
    What a great move!