Thread: Unify Undo "Group of Commands" List

Wish List Administration

Default Unify Undo "Group of Commands" List

Summary: "Group of Commands" view-associated fills the undo history and needs to be unified to a single entry

Description: When working we constantly zoom and pan here and there in a drawing. Problem is, for some reason, a few versions ago AutoCAD in-functionalized the "view" undo, where for a single zoom (or pan) the undo list will often list tens of "Group of Commands", all related to the view change (even though it was a single view change, it will still list many "Group of Commands").
    For example, we can draw a line, move it (just usual work), then zoom out to see the entire line in a different perspective. Now, suppose we have to undo the move command (next to last command in this example, right before we zoomed) so we, naturally, think undoing twice will get us there (one to undo the zoom, another to undo the move command), but alas, it will required the user to repeat the undo command many times, sometimes tens of times, just to undo the move command (in this example).
    As a note, this happens regardless of the "Combine zoom and pan commands" setting (mine is checked on).
    It's not unusual for my coworkers and I to sometime hit the spacebar to undo tens of times in quick successions in order to undo just one step back, just to see that, because we hit undo multiple times too fast, we undid past where we needed, and need now to actually reverse, and "redo" some steps.
    This is an incredibly frustrating issue that has one amazed as to how Autodesk has not fixed it yet.
    Thanks for the consideration,
    Edgar

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Other

Submitted By: edgar728009 on 12/02/2016

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: Unify Undo "Group of Commands" List

Never seen that, but I use the down arrow next to the icon to select which commands to undo through. That way you know exactly what you're undoing.

"Group of commands" is by far and away the most common entry in my Undo list -- by a factor of 100 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    ...use the down arrow next to the icon to select which commands to undo through. That way you know exactly what you're undoing.
    Hi, Tom.

Thanks for your comment - we need to keep the conversation going

However, workarounds are not fixes to issues. Besides, if the command needed to be undone is one or two tasks away, one should have to undo just twice, not twenty, whether through the drop down list or with "Ctrl+z".

Moreover, even going through the list, with tens and tens of "Group of Commands" between each task, makes the effort of searching for the desired target task much more difficult - If the target task is, say, 10 command lines in the past, one might have to scroll quite a bit through that list until he or she found that, and even then we can't be very sure since we are going to have to count every task that does not say "Group of Commands". I constantly use that list (like you), but I've made the mistakes with it anyway (and I can count).

This is a real issue... I has to be fixed...

Thanks again,

Edgar

It seems to be working for me, grouping the viewing commands that is, whether using u, undo, or the quick access toolbar.
    ---
    Command: UNDO
    Current settings: Auto = On, Control = All, Combine = Yes, Layer = Yes
    Enter the number of operations to undo or [Auto/Control/BEgin/End/Mark/Back] <1>:
    INTELLIZOOM INTELLIPAN INTELLIZOOM INTELLIPAN INTELLIZOOM INTELLIPAN PAN ZOOM INTELLIZOOM
    ---
    U
    ZOOM ZOOM INTELLIZOOM

Hi, dbroad. That's great that it works for you!

You might have a different version than we do, as it seemed that this issue started back on the 2013 version. But even if you don't and the version you have is more recent (and our undo setting are the same), there're enough people having this problem that it warrants this ticket.

Just to make it really clear, I just did a test: created a pline, zoomed about, created another pline, zoomed about, created another pline. That's really just 3 tasks, so it should really take just 5 undo actions (counting the zooming). But here's what I had to do just to undo "all the way" to that first pline:

Command: UNDO
    Current settings: Auto = On, Control = All, Combine = Yes, Layer = No
    Enter the number of operations to undo or [Auto/Control/BEgin/End/Mark/Back] <1>:
    PLINE
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    INTELLIZOOM
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    PLINE
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    INTELLIZOOM
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    Command:
    Command:
    UNDO
    PLINE
    Command:

And here's the drop down for something I had just done prior (you can't even see the "Pline" command without scrolling down):
    Picture2.png

Again, this is a serious oversight in the part of Autodesk and needs to be addressed.

Thanks,

Edgar