Thread: NWNavigator in Civil 3D 2017

Login to Give a bone

Default NWNavigator in Civil 3D 2017

I do a lot of existing surfaces for topographic surveys. In the previous version of C3D, I could use the NWNavigator command and view my model in a window along side of my cad file and could use this to view my surfaces as I edited them. Does anyone know how to get this function working again. I don't mean NWCOUT, when I use this I have to open the file in Navisworks to view. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling/repair/update for the 2017 Navisworks exporters. I have tried the ARX load routine, with no luck. I still get Unknown command "NWNAVIGATOR"

Thanks for any help,

MMc

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NWNavigator in Civil 3D 2017

Never used NWNAVIGATOR Command, I usually just go with Object Viewer or a second Viewport in perspective; see if these help:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-commands.html

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-vertical.html

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

This is right out of the Navisworks 2017 exporters help file under CAD Preview.

"The ARX plugin also enables you to walk through your model in real time inside a dockable Navigator window directly in the AutoCAD interface.

You can easily import and export viewpoints between Navigator and AutoCAD, and explore the models that you are building.

NOTE:The Autodesk Navisworks Navigator is provided for products based on AutoCAD 2008™ and above."

This is the function I am looking for. Worked fine in 2016 version.

MMc

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcCulley.RLS View Post
    This is right out of the Navisworks 2017 exporters help file under CAD Preview.

"The ARX plugin also enables you to walk through your model in real time inside a dockable Navigator window directly in the AutoCAD interface.

You can easily import and export viewpoints between Navigator and AutoCAD, and explore the models that you are building.

NOTE:The Autodesk Navisworks Navigator is provided for products based on AutoCAD 2008™ and above."

This is the function I am looking for. Worked fine in 2016 version.

MMc
    ... Did you load the plugin?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

According to the Loaded Applications listed under "APPLOAD" it shows that nwexportdbk.2017.crx is loaded. The commands NWATTACH, NWCOUT, NWLOAD, NWOPT, NWOPTA and NWSETVIEW all show as valid command and do work, but there is no NWNAVIGATOR. I went through the steps of manually loading the ARX file, but the pathing specified does not show an ARX file type that can be loaded.

"In the Select ARX/DBX File dialog box, browse to the ARX plugin.
    NOTE:For AutoCAD 20xx based applications, the plugin is located under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2017\NWExport20xx\nwexport20xx.crx. So, for example, for AutoCAD 2015 based applications, the plugin is located under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2017\nwexport2015\nwexport2015.crx, and so on."

I am running Windows7 Professional 64bit, Civil3D 2017 and I have Navisworks Simulate2017(I've never used it).

Thanks
    MMc

Login to Give a bone

From the first link I provide above:

Quote Originally Posted by Autodesk
    <snip>

For version 2017 and later:

• Navisworks Navigator Plugin has been removed - AutoCAD based products now have the same navigation mode as Navisworks - the NavCube and Bar, so the plugin became redundant.

• The Export functionality is still available through the Exporter Tool - NWCOUT.

<snip>

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

I don't see how the Navisworks Navigator and NavCube and Bar are even remotely the same. I want to be able to edit my surface in plan view in the regular cad window and see the changes after a refresh in the Navigator window. Typical Autodesk removing something that "they" deemed useless.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

From the link by BlackBox above: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-commands.html
    For version 2017 and later:
    Navisworks Navigator Plugin has been removed - AutoCAD based products now have the same navigation mode as Navisworks - the NavCube and Bar, so the plugin became redundant.
    The Export functionality is still available through the Exporter Tool - NWCOUT.

You may have to go back to the 2016 version if you want it that bad.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcCulley.RLS View Post
    I don't see how the Navisworks Navigator and NavCube and Bar are even remotely the same. I want to be able to edit my surface in plan view in the regular cad window and see the changes after a refresh in the Navigator window. Typical Autodesk removing something that "they" deemed useless.
    I've never even heard of it, but if you value it, and can speak intelligently on how what is provided in 2017 is insufficient or lacks functionality as compared to what was available, and can offer some use case scenarios, please be sure to post it here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autoca...ab/most-recent

While Civil 3D may not be where any of us want it to be, It is my opinion that the Civil 3D team is vastly superior to any other Beta group I've been fortunate to interact with (namely AutoCAD team) - nice people, all of them, but can be ineffective, and only seem to chase low-hanging fruit (incompletely at times) - the Civil 3D team is better organized, is actively developing the product (i.e., not in maintenance mode), more engaging with users, and actually incorporates user feedback into the updates, new releases, etc. in a way that no other Beta group has in the past 5+ years.

This is just my $0.02, please take from that what you like.

Cheers

Computer Specs: