Thread: Understanding Revit Links

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Understanding Revit Links

I sometimes I have issues controlling what parts of a linked Revit Model are displayed. I try to simply turn off a specific model category under the RVT Link Display Settings, but unfortunately many elements are simply Generic Models. I then resort to a series of filters that have worked well, but can become tedious in some scenarios. In any any case, my question deal primarily with the subcategory shown in the screen shot below. What is the purpose of the "21" subcategory and how does it help or hinder me in controlling what is visible?

As always, any comments or information is greatly appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Understanding Revit Links

I'd describe what you're referencing as a parent/child relationship vs a sub-category.

One can have multiple instances of the same link. In your example you have just one of the 11129 xarch.rvt link, which Revit reference numbered "21". If you copied the link another child would show appear under the parent and would be given the next reference number. The display settings can be controlled independently at the child level or together from the parent level (w/ child set to Not Overridden)

Login to Give a bone

I know there are other ways of controlling this type of thing, but you mentioned there are many "Generic Models" objects..

What I have done in the past is to put these "Generic Models" on separate named worksets that I want to control, then you simply turn them on/off through the Revit Link Visibility state.
    This only works if you (or the link provider) put those items on the worksets in the model you're linking in.

Just a thought!!

BTW I have been brow-beaten by so-called "Revit experts" by using worksets this way, but I works great.
    Their beef is that worksets were designed for work sharing and not controlling graphics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Kubsix, great explanation... Thanks so much!

Tedg, thanks for the tip. I noticed that the architect that provides us the arch model uses a ton of worksets probably for purpose you state. I can definitely see the usefulness and will certainly take advantage of it. Personally I tend to use filters a lot based on the family name of the elements and simply turn them on or off.

Thanks again to you both!
    Last edited by slovenc0417; 2017-01-05 at 06:38 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I would google the Hierarchy of Visibility Graphics. This is a great way to explain how to trouble shoot visibility issues. Without understanding this concept, you will struggle with every different architectural model.