Thread: Adding information in the section views (Labels, centerlines, dimensions, etc)

Login to Give a bone

Default Adding information in the section views (Labels, centerlines, dimensions, etc)

Hello again! I am preparing some x-sec using corridors and section views. They look actually nice. The issue is that I need to show some information that I'm not sure which is the best way to add it, such as cross slopes (superelevations), edge of pavement offsets, ditch dimensions. It was also requested to add the roadway centerline, the secondary baselines, the distance between them (that is not a constant value) and the proposed and existing ROW limits in each section.

This is how they're looking my cross sections, and how they should look:

As an example, I am not sure if I should try to add the grade slopes using "Edit Corridor Section Properties" in the section view, or with "Edit Labels" using the created corridor surface also in the section view. It's quite confusing.

Thanks for any help! I know there are lot of actions to do here. I also guess these topics may've been discussed before in other threads, so if you know where please show me! I will prepare a summary when I finish this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding information in the section views (Labels, centerlines, dimensions, etc)

Ok. I began my research and I could solve several issues, but not all of them. I will write the solution for those who may have to do something similar (and for myself in the future).

For the lane and ditch slopes, I configured the CODE SET STYLE, directly from the section view. I added label styles to several links such as "Pave" (with percentage) and "Daylight" or "Ditch" (with rise:run). For the ditch bottom length i did exactly the same (showing link lenght in the text contents)
    Note: in some subassemblies such as "LinkWidthAndSlope" i had to add new link codes in the subassembly properties. In this case i added manually the code "ditch". I had to do this because the subassembly only had the codes "top" and "datum" and when i tried to add labels to these codes in the CODE SET STYLE, i realized that all subassemblies have them, so the cross section turned up a mess.........)

In addition I had some annoying labels showing "VERTICAL". I could remove then adding an expression such as this: (for a 0.05" high text label): IF(ABS({Link Grade})>0.25,0,0.05/12) (Thanks to Jeff_M)
    The expression needs to be added in the settings tab, general --> label styles --> link --> expressions
    And then, when editing the label style for the code, in the layout tab --> text height, i chose the name of the created expression.

For the existing ROW, and the baselines I used the tool PROJECT OBJECTS TO MULTIPLE SECTION VIEWS
    This way, i created some feature lines (for the alignments and the ROW lines) with different styles. This tool can also be used to add specific objects such as trees.
    The thing is, when I run the tool, it considers all feature lines in the drawing. So i created feature lines using also different layers and i freeze the ones which i don't want to appear in the section views. This is how i could prepare different labels and linestyles for the ROW lines and the CL lines.

This is how my section views are looking now:

section_views_improved.png

I still need to add the distances between the centerlines and the distance between the centerline and the proposed ROW. Any help will be appretiated!