Thread: Disappearing Keynotes

Login to Give a bone

Default Disappearing Keynotes

We have a Revit MEP 2017 project with a couple keynotes that have been disappearing over time. It is only keynotes on families that are above the cut plane (one is hosted to mech equipment, one is on a pipe). Over time when we get back into the project the keynote number disappears from the annotation family and the corresponding note in the keynote legend disappears. Other keynotes on families below the cut plane remain when this happens.

We have to delete the old note and place a new one to show up but this eventually also disappears. We can also bump up the cut plane to above these families and the keynote repopulates automatically. Then if you lower the cut plane back down the keynote remains until eventually disappearing again. I'm thinking this has to be a bug but not sure. I keep updated when the autodesk desktop app sends one but I'm not 100% sure how else to make sure I'm up to date.

My current build is:
    Build: 17.0.503.0
    20161205_1400(x64)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Disappearing Keynotes

This is how it works. At least as far as I have ever used Revit and I have looked into many issues I have with how keynotes work within Revit. Keynotes will only appear if the object that the keynote is referencing or 'linked' to is not visible in the view then the keynote will not appear. I don't know why they aren't becoming invisible immediately after changing the view, but I have an inkling that if you tried to print they would not show up.

The fix.
    First question is why do you want a keynote to show when the object that it is revering to is not being shown?

I have had to do this SO VERY options because many of the things I need to keynote are not objects that can be tagged. My solution to the issue might be a bit crazy and if anyone has a better idea I would very much like to hear it.
    I create a family that can be tagged and give it a name declaring it to be a place holder. If there are lots of different levels to be shown I make sure I use something like a column with height to it. Next is the visibility issue... I put the object on a Workset that is turned off in all 3D views and is noted to any consultants as to be kept off when coordinating. Next either override the line work of the family as INVISIBLE in each view after you are done or change the linework styles used within the family to new unique names and change the color properties to white/invisible.
    The good thing is that the user-keynotes can be easily duplicated within a view using CTRL+DRAG and each keynote can have a different number/letter. These keynotes can also be put into schedules.
    The bad is that since the keynote is no longer attached to your HVAC or pipes, the keynotes will not change if you change the HVAC / pipe... whatever else's type.

Anyone with anything else?